23 September 2012

Successful Race Night and Auction felt like a farewell

Last night's Race Night and auction of football memorabilia was a resounding success.  The only negative was that more fans should have supported the event.  With virtually the full first team and management attending, the evening was reminiscent of Legends night.  The only difference was that the Legends are the current first team. 

The evening's MC was Club Captain Jake Ash, not only Superman on the pitch, but a more than capable Race Master.  Sprinkled with anecdotes and stories, players talked about their best moments at Treyew Road.  The Yetti told us of his disappointment at not scoring at Wembley but admitted the best goal for him was Broady's own strike at the Vase Final.  Yetts also cherished his goal against Liskeard at St Blazey.  Jake reminisced of his brilliant long range volley at Willand.  Dan Williams was very pleased to get his second goal for the club and Cody was delighted with his brace at Sutton.

On to the evening itself, some staggering amounts were collected, given the relatively few die-hards in attendance.  The auction of memorabilia raised £700, the highlights being £260 for a signed Vase Final shirt and the lowlights being £5.50 for a 1998 Man Utd shirt!
Yetti and Colin Carter with Gozzy shirt, as warn at Wembley.

The bucket collection around the ground raised an astonishing £600 whilst the Race itself raised £700.  Generous donations of beer from St Austell Brewey and Skinners added to the pot.  Indeed, all lager, cider and beer completely sold out.  Several generous supporters made donations beyond the call of duty and the already publicised donation from Chelmsford City leaves one speechless and quite emotional.

In summary, I will admit there was a tear in my eye when I left the premises.  I'm on holiday now for two weeks and I couldn't help but feel this was the last game I'll watch here today.  I would like to return to find a White Knight and not a ginger one.

New barman Snowy, manning the pumps yesterday.

4 comments:

  1. "In summary, I will admit there was a tear in my eye when I left the premises. I'm on holiday now for two weeks and I couldn't help but feel this was the last game I'll watch here today. I would like to return to find a White Knight and not a ginger one."

    Stevie the Ressies are at home against Hayle on Tuesday night if you can find the time for one last fix of Truro City. I must admit to having a heavy heart these days as I mow and mark the pitch ready for match days and it always feels like the last game for me too. I'm not sure how much longer we can hang on for without serious financial backing. Sadly I won't be there for the Bath City game but I'll do everything I can to help Lee and the boys till the bitter end. No one can fault the supporters, players and the coaching staff, not forgetting Tracey the Secretary over the last 12mnths..

    It's not just about the football guys. Treyew Road maybe a bit scruffy but it is our home from home where we go and meet our friends every week as generations of Truronians have done so before us, and it is now in serious jeopardy.

    These last few weeks have seen acts of generosity from Supporters which defy words, to all of you who have taken part in the fundraising and given money no matter whether it is pence or pounds I have the utmost respect. If it buys the club a few precious days until someone steps forward every gesture is gratefully received.

    There are so many people I will miss meeting on a Saturday afternoon if Truro City folds.

    Good luck all, and Steve many thanks for everything you have done keeping this blog going through turbulent times.

    Mark B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good to see you had a good evening was planning to come back after sending Picts to the non league but couldn't get out the chair with back probs, I would just like to say that I will miss photographing this bunch of lads if things go bad and they are forced to leave this wonderful club, highlight for me was the Wembley experience, thanks lads and good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a privilege to be there with Lee, the players and great fans, not forgetting the service at the bar, Thanks.

    See you at Chelmsford.

    Ivor

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have offered more for the Manchester United shirt and if the winner wants to resell it for more then contact me and I'll make another contribution to the fund.

    ReplyDelete