02 September 2012

Squad do crisis club Truro City proud with fantastic win

By Rhod Mitchell, West Briton LINK Images Steve Rogers

Truro City 2 Boreham Wood 0

If this indeed was City's final game in Blue Square Bet South, then they at least gave their long suffering fans something to remember them by as they moved up to fifth in the table.

Goals by Stewart Yetton, and a first for the club from full back Ben Williams, saw them end Boreham Wood's unbeaten start to the season in a match which saw the Hertfordshire side finish with eight men after suffering three cards.
Ben Williams scored his first goal for the club.

City skipper Jake Ash was also ordered off for a second bookable offence right on half time, following an unsavoury fracas which also saw Wood's Ben Nunn and Blue Square Bet South player of the month Charlie O'Loughlin red carded.

Nunn went for a nasty studs up challenge on Cody Cooke, with O'Loughlin and Ash following after the mid-pitch melee.
An unsavoury fracas led to three red cards

And it got worse for Boreham Wood in the dying minutes when skipper Luke Garrard was sent off after senselessly grabbing Yetton by the neck.

It was yet another fantastic display by City's players after the club announced on Friday they were going into administration ahead of Monday's winding up order hearing over alleged unpaid tax in the High Court, when they could be wound up.

It is totally unclear what the future holds, but this could well have been the club's last match at this level and there is obviously a major doubt as to whether they will play at Basingstoke on Tuesday evening.

But as they have done so often, the squad shrugged aside the horrendous off the field issues to end as well deserved winners.

City took the lead after 27 minutes when Adam Kelly helped the ball through to Stewart Yetton who finished well with a low shot past James Russell for his 218th Truro goal.
Yetts celebrates the first goal. Pure class.

And the game seemed to be meandering into half time, when Nunn's reckless challenge on Cook changed the nature of match, with City then having a man advantage for the second half.

Even so, Boreham Wood missed a couple of great chances to draw level before, midway through the half, Williams rose high to power a header home from Adam Kelly's corner past Russell to make it 2-0.

It was effectively game over and Garrard's 85th minute dismissal only added salt to the visitors' wounds.

And at the final whistle it was an emotional City team and man of the match, player-manager Lee Hodges, who saluted the club's fans, possibly for the last time.

They all deservedly received a rousing send off as they left the pitch as Vera Lynn's We'll Meet Again played on the Tannoy.

And just whether they will may become a lot clearer on Monday.

TRURO CITY: Sandercombe; Green, Ash (capt), Hodges, Williams; Kelly, Broad, Cooke, Afful; Yetton, Moore (Watkins 63).
Sub (not used): Hall.
Red card: Ash (43), two yellows.
Yellows: Cooke, Moore, Watkins.

BOREHAM WOOD: Russell; Nunn, O'Loughlin, Reynolds, Jones, Vilhete (Morgan 76), Isaac, Garrard (capt), Montgomery, Buchanan (Akurang half-time), Riza (Effiong 74).
Subs (not used): Hutton, Scott-Morris.
Red cards: Nunn (43), O'Loughlin (43), Garrard (85).
Yellow cards: Jones, Vilhete.
Goals: Yetton (27) 1-0, Williams (65) 2-0.
Man of the match: Lee Hodges (Truro City).
Crowd: 329.
Referee: Daniel Cook (Gosport).

No comments:

Post a Comment