27 December 2012

Heavy rain delays defender's return to Truro City

By Rhod Mitchell This is Cornwall

Truro City's home Boxing Day Blue Square South game against Dorchester Town was called off less than 30 minutes before the scheduled 3pm kick-off after referee Mark Pottage ruled the pitch was unsafe after more heavy rain.

The Dorset official took his decision after another pitch inspection with the rain continuing to belt down.

He said: "There were four areas of standing water and it had got worse in the last 20 minutes after that shower we had at 2pm and I made the decision because of the players' safety and those who were out there warming up agreed with me."

It was the second City game to be called off in succession after last Saturday's trip to leaders Salisbury City also fell victim to the awful weather and they will be now hoping that this Saturday's home match, their last of 2012, against Weston-super-Mare can go ahead.

The postponement delayed the return to Treyew Road of former Torquay United defender Steve Adams, who had been named in the starting line-up.
Stevie Adams

He "retired" at the end of last season after 118 City appearances and just one goal, but has now agreed to come back and his return is a major boost to City's hopes of avoiding relegation giving manager Hodges more options.

And Hodges, who said he totally agreed with the referee's decision to call off the game, was delighted to have tempted Adams back to the club.

He said: "I am chuffed to bits Steve has come back. I am not saying he will be involved in every game because of his work commitments, but to have his experience back on board is fantastic."

Hodges also paid tribute to the work of City' s Ground Facilities Manager Mark Brent and his helpers for their efforts from 7am onwards to try and ensure the game would go ahead.

He said: " Mark and the others have worked their socks off. It is such a shame, but it would only have taken five to ten minutes for the ball to stop dead in the mud and would have finished off the pitch for the season."

For the Weston-super-Mare game, City will be without Bobby Hopkinson who will, weather permityting, at the third attempt try to serve his one match ban.

But skipper Jake Ash is fit to play after damaging his thumb.

Ash and Marcus Martin need to avoid yellow cards in that game if they are not to share the same fate as Hopkinson and receive a one game suspension.

No comments:

Post a Comment