07 April 2013

Truro City denied win by stoppage time goal as Martin sees red

By Rhod Mitchell, West Briton LINK

Truro City 2 Eastbourne Borough 2

City suffered yet more late heartbreak as they conceded a stoppage time equaliser to deny them what would have been a well merited win.

Goals by Stewart Yetton and Barry Hayles looked to have been enough to give already relegated City a morale boosting three Blue Square Bet South points.

But three minutes into added time they failed to deal with a long throw and Eastbourne substitute Darren Lok scuffed his shot past Luke Payne in the home goal.

And to make matters worse for City they then had Marcus Martin red carded following a midfield flare-up.

It was rough on the home side who looked the better team for much of the game against the East Sussex visitors who are involved in their own battle to stay up.

City went ahead after 17 minutes when a quick break from one end of the pitch to the other saw Yetton, who was making his first start for more than five months because of injury, finished well at the far post from a left wing cross by Watkins.

And Yetton was unlucky to make it 2-0 early in the second half when he had his effort cleared off the line after Eastbourne keeper Danny Potter had blocked his first effort.

Watkins and Hayles also went close to a crucial second goal before City conceded a sloppy equaliser after 67 minutes when Eastbourne skipper Ollie Rowe was allowed to head home unchallenged a corner.

But with ten minutes left Hayles looked to have won the game for City as he showed great strength and persistence to drive deep into the area before finishing well.

It was then a question whether City could hang on, but alas as has been too often the case this season they were unable to and had to settle for a point from a game they should have won.

And manager Lee Hodges said: "I am gutted. We deserved to win the game. I wish every game stopped after 90 minutes."

City: Payne, Ash (capt), Kendall, Gerring, Williams (Broad 73), Afful, Martin, Yetton (Wright 84), Copp, Watkins, Hayles. Subs (not used). Hodges.
Red card: Martin.
Yellow card: Williams

Eastbourne Borough: Potter, Adlesbury, Cole, Ehui (Raymond 60), Rowe (capt), Watts, Johnson, Aldred, Charles (Lok 80), Hart, Shepard.
Subs (not used): Fenwick, Smith, Uddin.
Yellow cards: Aldred, Hart, Potter, Adlesbury.
Half time: 1-0.
Goals: Yetton (17) 1-0, Rowe (67) 1-1, Hayles (80) 2-1; Lok 90 + 3 (2-2).
Referee: Ryan Atkin (London).
Crowd: 318.


Meanwhile on Twitter Stewart Yetton gave a strong indication that he may not be around at the end of the season, stating that the club  "future would be bright in their hands" referring to Jake Ash and Jordan Copp.  That said, Yettsy may not yet have been offered a contract?  Who knows but one things is certain, Yetts will remain a Truro hero forever.


Official Truro City FC match report is now online and can be read HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment