22 August 2012

Truro City denied win by stoppage time equaliser

By Rhod Mitchell This is Cornwall.  Images Steve Rogers.

Truro City 3 Havant and Waterlooville 3

CITY opened up their Blue Square account with their first point of the season on Tuesday evening, but it should have been so much more.
Watto celebrates his first goal with team mates (in the new kit)
The home side twice established seemingly match-winning two goal leads, only to surrender them on both occasions with the Hampshire side grabbing a stoppage time equaliser.

It all looked so good for City just after half time as Andy Watkins scored his second goal of the game to make it 2-0.

In the first half the striker, making his first start of the season after missing City's 2-1 defeat at Billericay Town with a groin strain, had put the Cornish club ahead after 17 minutes with a fine solo goal as he cut in from the left before netting with a low drive into the bottom left corner.

For much of the opening half City were relatively comfortable, though the Hawks were unlucky just on half time when midfielder Steve Ramsey rattled the underside of the bar with home keeper Tim Sandercombe beaten.

City began the second half in the best possible fashion with Watkins taking advantage of a loose ball to find the far corner from a tight angle.

However, City then shot themselves in the foot when a terrible defensive misunderstanding between Sandercombe and Arran Pugh presented Oliver Palmer with an open goal which he gratefully accepted.

City though bounced back almost immediately with Jake Ash converting a penalty with just over 20 minutes left to make it 3-1 after Les Afful had been brought down by Chris Arthur.

Stewart Yetton then came on for his 300th appearance for the club to replace the tiring Watkins and immediately conceded a harsh looking free-kick on the edge of the area. Christian Nanetti's strike deflected off the top of the City wall and into the net via the underside of the bar.

Truro still looked to be hanging on to priceless win until the first minute of stoppage time when Palmer scored his second of the evening, heading powerfully home from a corner.

The result sees City 14th in the table ahead of Saturday's visit of leaders Salisbury City who have the only 100 per cent record in the league after two straight wins.

CITY: Sandercombe; Green, Ash (capt), Pugh, Williams; Watkins (Yetton 70), Broad, Kelly, Afful, Moore, Cooke. Subs (not used): Carne, Hall.
Booked: Sandercombe.

HAVANT AND WATERLOOVILLE: Masters: Newton, Arthur, Hutchinson, Harris, Page (capt), Ramsey (Taggert 75), Bailey, Jones (Moss 58), Palmer, Nanetti. Subs (not used): Pearce, Whyte, Hinshelwood.

Booked: Arthur, Palmer, Moss.

Goals: Watkins (17) 1-0; Watkins (49) 2-0; Palmer (62) 2-1; Ash (67 p) 3-1; Nanetti (71) 3-2; Palmer (90+ 1) 3-3.

Crowd: 390.

No comments:

Post a Comment