04 October 2011

Truro stay in the FA Cup following stalemate at Bournemouth

Source: This is Cornwall link

Hodges: "not the  most exciting of matches"
City boss Lee Hodges said: "It was not the most exciting of matches, it has to be said, but we achieved one of our aims because we are in the hat.

"I said to the players before the match it was not about a performance but a result and in a way we did get a result because we did not lose, and now we are back to our place for the replay.
"We will be in the draw and that's what I asked from the lads, and we have a chance to progress because now the ball is back in our court."

City will entertain the Poppies at Treyew Road in tomorrow's second qualifying round replay (7.45pm) and Hodges' injury and suspension hit side will be strengthened by the return of veteran striker Barry Hayles and experienced former Exeter City right-back Barry McConnell.

Without the pair, Hodges was forced to make a number of changes against the Wessex League side.
Midfielder Andy Taylor stepped back to help out the defence in place of suspended McConnell while Andy Watkins, as anticipated, replaced Hayles alongside Stewart Yetton in attack and Joe Broad returned in central midfield for injured skipper Jake Ash.

Yetts in action
With central defender Steve Adams sidelined by injury, on-loan Torquay United defender Ed Palmer started alongside Aaron Pugh in the middle of the back four.

Hodges said: "Ed came in and played really well and later on Cody Cooke got a run-out from the bench, played for half-an-hour, and also impressed. I was really pleased with his contribution."

The closest City came to breaking the deadlock was late on, when Poppies visibly tired in the wilting heat.
Dan Smith hit the top of the crossbar and Les Afful had an effort cleared off the goal-line.

Hodges said: "In fairness, there were not that many chances at either end but we came good in the last ten minutes when our fitness showed, and you were kind of hoping we may get the breakthrough. We hit the bar and went close but it would have been tough on Bournemouth because they fought hard throughout.

"It was really hot out there – the pitch was dry and hard and it was not ideal for playing any flowing football and the ball ended up spending most of the time in the middle of the park.

"I guess they maybe had two shots the whole game but we didn't have many more, although we did create more chances than them."

No comments:

Post a Comment