06 October 2011

City carry out Great Escape

Source: thisiscornwall LINK

Truro City 3, Bournemouth FC 2

City captain Andy Taylor inspects the haircut (expand to view)
AS the theme tune from 'The Great Escape' belted out of the PA system at full-time, manager Lee Hodges could at last afford a wry smile after watching his side reach the next round of the FA Cup by the skin of their teeth.

City were seven minutes away from crashing out of the competition at the hands of Wessex League Premier Division outfit Bournemouth FC.

But one remarkable minute turned the tables in spectacular fashion as goals from Scott Walker (83) and substitute Marcus Martin (84) ensure the most dramatic of victories.

Hodges' men can now look forward to a third qualifying round clash with Blue Square Bet North outfit Gloucester City on October 15.

It could so easily have been the Poppies making the trip to Cheltenham Town's Whaddon Road, where Gloucester ground share, on Saturday week.

And Hodges was clearly a relieved man after reflecting on Tuesday night's topsy turvy encounter, watched by a crowd of just 182.

He said: "Relieved is an understatement.  "It was a frustrating night and one which I didn't think was going to go in our favour for a time. "To go level at 1-1 I thought we would go on and win the game, but we shot ourselves in the foot and made it hard for ourselves again.

"But that's cup football, we got two in a minute and we're through to the next round.
"People will forget about it now because it's all about getting through.


"That was the aim before the game, I'm disappointed with the way we played, but we're in the next round and that's what counts."

There was a big let off for City in the ninth minute when James Pinder sped past Walker before striking the post with a low drive.
In the 17th minute skipper Andy Taylor side footed narrowly wide after hitting Andy Watkins' pass with his first touch.

As City continued to press, Walker saw his free kick pushed around the post by Poppies' goalkeeper Max Frampton.
Moments later Watkins came within inches of scoring when he fired wide after Walker's free kick fell to the forward.

Despite their dominance City found themselves trailing in the 36th minute.
Referee Lee Swabey's decision to point to the spot after Tom McCormick tripped over the boot of Arran Pugh was harsh on the hosts. Dave Ewen stepped up and made no mistake to give Bournemouth an unlikely lead.

Whatever Hodges said at half-time seemed to do the trick as City drew level within four minutes of the restart. Hayles typically muscled his way through the Poppies' defence before rolling the ball into the bottom corner.


However, disaster struck for City with 16 minutes remaining when substitute Mariusz Iglewski crossed for Jon Blake to stroke the ball home.  It almost got worse for City when Ewen directed his header inches wide.

But two goals in a minute swung the game dramatically in City's favour. First Walker drilled home from the penalty spot after Afful was brought down in the area.

And then Martin completed an amazing turnaround when he drove the ball in from the edge of the area after Frampton could only parry McConnell's low effort.

As the game entered stoppage time Tim Sandercombe produced a brilliant save to push away Fawzi Saadi's free kick.
In a frantic finale Walker's efforts deserved more when his free kick crashed off the bar.

No comments:

Post a Comment