06 July 2013

New-look Truro City acquit themselves well against Crewe (by Rhod Mitchell, West Briton)

Truro City 1 Crewe Alexandra 2

A new chapter in the recent turbulent history of Truro City, got off to a promising start at a sun-kissed Treyew Road on Friday evening.

Fielding a completely different team in each half, City, under new manager Steve Massey, produced plenty of positive signs against the League 1 visitors who have been training in Truro this week.

And a well taken late goal from Liam Eddy, following a pinpoint pass from Helston team-mate Charlie Young, ensured some tangible reward for their efforts in front of an appreciative crowd of around 500.
Massey has had a hectic summer trying to assemble a squad of “young and hungry” players capable of competing in the Southern League’s premier division, and this was the first chance to see them in action on the pitch, after just two training sessions, with City’s first league game not until August 17.

And Massey, who is in his third spell in charge at Treyew Road, said he was delighted with what he had seen.

“Individually I thought we did superb. Overall it was really good. The guys did really well, even with the changes we had to make in the second half because of injuries.

“It is a first step and I hope the majority of supporters can see what we are trying to do with the young boys. There will be some natural wastage along the way but this was a good start.”

In the first half in particular, City looked slick and surprisingly cohesive, despite the lack of training together.

There was some neat interplay, though goal scoring chances were scarce against a strong Crewe line-up.

And it was the League side who took the lead in stoppage time with a neat finish from Ajay Leitch-Smith who soon added a second at the start of the second half.

City competed well despite injuries to trialist Ed Weeks and Ben Williams.

They came closest to a goal midway through the half when Les Afful thundered a drive against the bar.

However, five minutes from time they did manage a well deserved goal with Young’s defence-splitting pass giving Eddy the chance to finish well.

In the dying minutes City though were indebted to a great goal line clearance by Calron Hall from Byron Moore and the woodwork also denied the visitors’ a third.

That would have been harsh on City whose next friendly is against Plymouth Argyle on Wednesday July 17.

City (first half): Chenoweth; White, Ash, Evans, Giles, Andrew, Brokenshire, Daw, Copp, Sims, Broomfield.

City (second half): Payne, Hall, Williams (Goldsworthy 57), Halpin (Young 78), Kendall, Weeks Bradley (65), Swain, Cooke, Eddy, Afful, Slateford.

Referee: Adam Hopkins (Plymouth).

No comments:

Post a Comment