20 February 2013

Former striker Moore sinks Truro City on return to Treyew Road

By Rhod Mitchell, West Briton LINK

Truro City 1 Dorchester Town 2

Former City striker Kieffer Moore returned to haunt his former club, scoring both his new team's goals, including a late winner, to condemn Truro to yet another Blue Square Bet South defeat.

It was tough on the home side after a much improved performance following Saturday's dismal display against Staines Town, but they were again left with nothing to show for all their efforts.
Moore has now scored three goals in his last two games since leaving City for the Dorset club, who made him a very attractive financial offer, earlier this month.

And the teenager showed just why he has been attracting the interest of Football League clubs as his goals settled a somewhat fractious encounter under the Treyew Road lights.

He has now scored 16 goals in his first season at this level and is third in the race for the league's Golden Boot.

To his credit he did not over celebrate his goals as he showed his former club just what they have lost as they went down to their seventh defeat in nine games in 2013.

His first came after 22 minutes when he was left unmarked to head home a corner, but Dorchester's lead was shortlived as Martin Watts almost immediately levelled with a dipping 35 yard free-kick past a helpless Jason Matthews in the visitors' goal.

It was no more than Truro deserved after a bright start with a Watts free-kick tipped over by Matthews, while Cody Cooke and Andy Watkins also went close.

Making his debut in goal for City was reserve team keeper Luke Payne who came in as a late replacement for Paul Hider, who has an injured back and the 23-year-old enjoyed a solid game.

Player-manager Lee Hodges also brought himself back into the team after a four match absence while Paul Kendall started in place of injured skipper Jake Ash.

In an entertaining second half both sides had chances, with Andy Watkins a real threat for City, but the game looked to be heading for a draw when four minutes from time Moore pounced on a loose ball when City failed to clear a cross and drove the ball into the bottom corner for the winner.

City return to action at Bath City on Saturday.

City: Payne; Cooke, Gerring, Hodges, Kendall, Watts, Afful, Martin, Broad, Watkins, Hayles (Wright 87). Subs (not used): Hall, Williams.

Dorchester Town: Matthews; Jermyn (capt), Smeeton, Pugh, Walker, Coleson, Malsom, Nicholls, Moore, Clough, Martin. Subs (not used): Morgan, Bell, Way, Brooks, Walker.
Referee: Richard Hulme (Radstock).

Tiger Talk Puddy comment:

"A battling and improved performance against a very mediocre and pedestrian outfit who must be one of the few teams to come here and offer no pace going forward. Apart from Andy's efforts there was little threat up front and the difference between the teams was quite simply Keiffer Moore, a predatory striker who powered in a free header from a cross and pounced on a defensive mistake to finish the job. If he had still been playing for us we would have won. Martin Watts troubled them with his free kicks but at the moment that seems to be our only real threat. Team faded in last twenty minutes but overall welcome effort all round.

Decent crowd on a COLD night. "

No comments:

Post a Comment