14 January 2013

City Alerts - Lee's view on Billericay

LEE'S VIEW on City 2 Billericay 4:

 "I was bitterly disappointed with the whole team's performance. We looked sluggish - we weren't at it at all. It wasn't the team I'd expected to go out and perform. For such an important game, I had hoped the boys would have been on fire, but it didn't happen. I'm not going to be negative about it all - two months ago we didn't have a club, and we mustn't lose sight of the current context.

"That said, I apologise to all the fans. They were there in good spirit and good numbers and singing and supporting us throughout and they deserved better. The boys have given it their all, again and again, and they looked a bit leggy on Saturday.

I changed the system at half-time. I thought the three of us at the back could deal with their striker, but we couldn't - everything he touched turned to gold. We gambled a bit too soon, perhaps, hoping to get the goals back; I may have got it wrong tactically.

"We always miss Andy Watkins, of course; he brings great movement, but I'm not going to dwell on negatives. As far as I'm concerned, it's fantastic that the club is still alive and the boys will never give up. My attitude is that we move on; we will keep battling in every game and for as long as there are points to be gained we will give it everything we've got."

Lee on MATT WRIGHT, new signing on non-contract basis: "He's an out-and-out striker and I just felt we particularly needed reinforcing in that direction. He came for a trial with us last season, from Salisbury, at around the same time I signed Adam Kelly from that club. He's a Plymouth lad in his early 20s and after his trial with us he moved to Sweden. He's since come back and played for Poole Town this season."

TEAM NEWS for tomorrow's visit to Salisbury: MARCUS MARTIN suspended. Late check on ANDY WATKINS, chest infection. Squad: Luke McCormick, Bobby Hopkinson, Calron Hall, Jake Ash, Lee Hodges, Ben Williams, Joe Broad, Cody Cooke, Les Afful, Andy Watkins, Kieffer Moore, Barry Hayles, Martin Watts, Matt Wright.

STEWART YETTON update: "My target is subs bench three to four weeks from now."

UPCOMING FIXTURES (all League): Tues, Jan 15, away to Salisbury City, 7.45 pm; Sat, Jan 19, away to Sutton United, 3 pm; Tues, Jan 22, away to Eastleigh, 7.45 pm; Sat, Jan 26, home to Chelmsford, 3 pm; Sat, Feb 02, away to Dover Athletic, 3 pm; Sat, Feb 09, away to Hayes & Reading, 3 pm; Sat, Feb 16, home to Staines Town; Tues, Feb 19 subject to confirmation, home to Dorchester, 7.45 pm; Sat, Feb 23, away to Bath City, 3 pm; Tues, Feb 26, home to Weston-Super-Mare.

LIGHT RELIEF: I am currently reading Frank O'Farrell's autobiography and I had to laugh at this extract: "I didn't play much (for Preston North End) in the 1960-61 season . . . The manager (Cliff Britton) told me I wasn't being retained . . . then Weymouth, in the Southern League, came in and offered me the position of player-manager. The funny thing was, I'd been on £20 per week at Preston - the maximum wage at the time - and Weymouth upped that to £25 and I also got a car and a house." Eat your heart out, Lee!

Mike Truscott

No comments:

Post a Comment