20 September 2011

No time to fret over defeat – Hodges

Source: Western Morning News LINK

Truro City 0 Sutton United 3

Truro City boss Lee Hodges will rally his side as quickly as possible after Saturday's 3-0 setback against Blue Square Bet South high-fliers Sutton.
United swept up to fourth in the table after Saturday's win at Treyew Road but Hodges – whose side slipped to 15th – is already looking ahead to tomorrow's testing trip to fifth-placed Maidenhead United.

The City boss admitted: "There's no time to feel sorry for ourselves and, in a way, I suppose it's a good thing that we have not got any time to think about Sutton, because we are at Maidenhead now and that's the focus.
Sandercombe received a head wound
"It's my job to lift the lads, take the positives from Saturday – because there were some – and remind them that we should have got a result against Maidenhead here."

City lost 2-1 to Maidenhead at the start of the month, beaten by an 87th-minute winner.
Hodges said: "It's a quick turnaround – playing Maidenhead again so soon – but from my point of view, the good thing is that the defeat by them at ours will still be fresh in the minds of our players and I will use that as motivation because we should have taken something from that game."

On Saturday's defeat by Sutton, Hodges said: "We felt we should have had a penalty when Barry Hayles was bought down at 1-0 and that would have made a huge difference because we could have made it 1-1."
Sutton had taken a 28th-minute lead through Harry Beautyman, sweeping in to convert Tony Taggert's cross with a first-time strike.

City striker Andy Watkins shot straight at keeper Kevin Scriven as City attacked from the start of the second half and Andy Taylor shot just wide.

Hayles booked for ungentlemanly conduct
In the 56th minute, Hayles received his fifth caution of the season after he was felled on his way to goal.
A minute later, City were 2-0 down when after home keeper Tim Sandercombe saved Craig Dundas' shot but Sutton's Craig Watkins followed up the rebound to net.

City defender Barry McConnell was red-carded for a foul on Dundas as he broke through in the last minute and Sutton took full advantage to make it 3-0 from the resultant free-kick, smashed in by Sutton substitute Tom Kavanagh.

Truro City: Sandercombe, McConnell, Walker, Pugh, Adams, Ash, Taylor, Martin, Watkins, Hayles, Afful. Substitutes: Palmer, Clay, Broad, Smith, Yetton.
Sutton United: Scriven, Telfer, Bray, Watkins, Downer
, Page, Riviere, Beautyman, Griffiths, Dundas, Taggart. Substitutes: McCrae, Kavanagh, Piper, Orilonishe, Shaw.

Goals: Beautyman 28, Watkins 57, Kavanagh 90.

Referee: C Lymer (Hampshire).
Attendance: 558.

No comments:

Post a Comment