05 November 2012

AFC Hornchurch match report by Dave Deacon

Source: Dave Deacon Cornwallfootballforum

Congratulations to Truro on picking up three points. After the opening ten minutes or so when Andy Watkins saw two very good chances wasted, I wondered whether it was going to be another of those afternoons!

Andy also felt his hamstring very early on and so credit to him for lasting the whole game. However that's only the beginning of another very entertaining match at Treyew Road!

The first half could have gone either way, in addition to Watkins early efforts, skipper Jake Ash headed over and Joe Broad brought a good save out of the visitors' 'keeper. At the other end, Sandercombe had to be alert - ten minutes before the break Hornchurch had their best chance of the first half when Tambson Eyong shot ball wide while also claiming a penalty when Ash lunged across. Soon after that scare, City's goally Tim Sandercombe needed treatment, and although he stayed on, all he could do was hobble around and no kicking with his right foot! In fact, no kicking at all!

But before the break came the vital breakthrough. Kieffer Moore, who looked a little off his game in the opening ten minutes or so, was put in by a clever touch on by Watkins, and the lanky no.9 finished well for Lee Hodges' men to go in a goal up.

Sandercombe came out to start the second half, but with his right knee strapped up and looking in pain, although his agony must have been forgotten for a split second four minutes later when Watkins set up Moore for his second of the afternoon. Watkins cut inside on the right, passed to Moore who never hesitated and smashed the ball into the roof of the net.

Nothing is easy for City though at the moment and seven minutes later their lead was cut back to 2-1 when Leon McKenzie broke away and had no trouble slotting it past Sandercombe who by now was finding it difficult to move, let alone attempt a save.

Five minutes later and Jake "Captain Marvel" Ash took on the goally's role with player/manager Lee Hodges coming on as sub. Who said the gaffer had an injury? You wouldn't have known, especially by the way he took the free-kick to set City up for the third goal. Martin headed Hodges kick back across goal for Watkins to head in from close range and get the goal he deserved for yet another hard-working performance.

That goal came in the 66th minute, time aplenty for Ash to make a few saves, a couple blocks and the defence to hold firm, that was until the 5th minute of stoppage time when the game's fifth goal of the game went in. Thankfully it was too late for anything but maximum points for Truro and a vital win as they start their road to safety.

Certainly there was enough action to entice the 414 attendance to return again.

No comments:

Post a Comment