30 July 2012

City earn first friendly win of the season with late strike

By Rhod Mitchell. Photos Steve Rogers.

Truro City 3 Falmouth Town 2
City regained the Aubrey Wilkes Trophy, competed for by the teams each season, thanks to a fine goal 14 minutes from time by substitute Kiefer Moore.
Kieffer Moore

The tall striker did well to control a cross from the right before turning andacrobatically volleying the ball into the bottom corner of the net past the despairing dive to his right of Town keeper Jason Chapman.

It was enough to settle an entertaining friendly as both clubs continued their preparations for the new season.

Carlsberg SWPL premier division side Falmouth had done well to come back from 2-0 down against the Blue Square Bet South outfit to level the scores after Stewart Yetton and Jake Ash had seemingly put the home side on their way to a comfortable win.

Yetton headed home a cross from the right by strike partner Andy Watkins after only seven minute,s but then had to go off with a hamstring problem which could keep him out for two to four weeks. His place was taken by Moore.

Wayne Quinn came close to a Falmouth equaliser ten minutes later when his free-kick was deflected on to the bar before being cleared.

And Truro took advantage of their let off to double their advantage after 22 minutes when former Falmouth player Dan Green beat Jamie Devine to the ball in his now half and made a storming run before finding Ash who planted the ball over Chapman from outside the area.
Former Falmouth player Dan Green

Falmouth though continued to carry a goal threat with Andy Westgarth denied by home keeper Luke Payne, while at the other end Chapman did well to stop Les Afful and then Moore from making it 3-0.

But three minutes from the interval Falmouth did get back into the game when Dan McGhee's cross shot nfrom wide on the right found the far corner of Payne's net.

And Falmouth levelled the scores 12 minutes into the second half when Payne could only push Quinn's free-kick into the path of Matt Shiels who had the easiest of finishes to make it 2-2.

Both sides then took the chance to ring the changes and the game rather lost its shape before Moore's decisive strike gave the home side their first friendly win at the third attempt after drawing with Bideford and losing 1-0 at home to Plymouth Argyle.

No comments:

Post a Comment