25 March 2012

City dominate to earn priceless victory

By Rhod Mitchell, West Briton.  Image by Steve Rogers

Truro City 3 Thurrock 0
City earned a crucial three points in their battle to avoid relegation from Blue Square Bet South with a dominant performance against the league's bottom clubs.
Marcus took the first goal but also a needless yellow card

A first half goal from Marcus Martin and second-half strikes by new signing Martin Gritton on his return to his former club and substitute Adam Kelly with his first City goal eased the Tigers to victory.

In truth they could easily have doubled that victory margin with Thurrock keeper Ross Kitteridge making a string of five saves, while City were also guilty of some bad misses, none worse than when Barry Hayles hit the underside of the bar from point blank range.

However, their win was marred by a senseless late booking for Marcus Martin which took his to ten yellow cards for the season and now faces a two match ban.

Also results at the foot of the table did not really go their way with Hampton and Richmond Staines Town and Eastbourne Borough (2-1 at home to leaders Woking) all winning, while Havant and Waterlooville and Bromley both drawing their games.

But City are still seven points clear of the relegation places and face a another huge game at Staines next Saturday as they chase the handful of points they need to survive.

Lee Hodges made two changes from the side that lost at Basingstoke in midweek with Marcus Martin coming in for the unwell Steve Adams with Les Afful taking over from Kelly who dropped to the bench.

City were on top from the start and deservedly took the lead after 13 minutes when Marcus Martin headed home at the far post from Scott Walker's deep cross after Thurrock failed to clear his corner.

The visitors' goal bore a charmed life as Kitteridge was in inspired form denying Hayles, Stewart Yetton and Arran Pugh, while Martin hit the woodwork with a header.

However, towards the end of the half the Essex side came into the game and Ollie Chenoweth did well to block Lee Boylan's low drive with his legs.

And it was Chenoweth who was at the centre of the game's turning point at the start of the season.
First he did superbly to save David Night's powerful shot and then from his clearance kick Gritton beat Kitteridge to hook the ball over the keeper's head and into the net to make it 2-0.

It was virtually game over and the only real surprise was that City did not add to their tally when Gritton's persistence gave Kelly the chance to slide the ball into the empty net ten minutes from time.

City: Chenoweth; McConnell, Ash, Pugh, Walker, Yetton (Cooke 73), Broad, Martin, Afful (Kelly 73), Hayles (Vassell 81), Gritton. Sub (not used): Watkins.

Thurrock : Kitteridge; Deen, Ashton (Gilfedder 77), l' 'anson, Goodhind, Thurgood, Terry (Hughes 54), Cutler, Knight, Boylan, Nesbitt,
Subs (not used): Deen, White, Woodward.

Half time: 1-0.
Goals: Martin (14) 1-0, Gritton (47) 2-0, Kelly (80) 3-0.
Referee: Mark Pottage (Gillingham, Dorset).
Crowd: 492.

No comments:

Post a Comment