09 March 2014

Truro City 2 St Neots Town 3

City’s recent revival, which had seen them win their last three Calor League premier division games, came to a disappointing end against the Cambridgeshire visitors. Two goals by Ben Watson had got City back on level terms after they went 2-0 down early in the second half, but their creaky defence then conceded a late "sucker" goal to give the visitors the win.

It was a frustrating end after a great comeback and one that left manager Steve Massey “gutted” and “flat”.

Massey had made two changes from the team that started against Arlesey Town, with Arran Pugh returning after suspension, with Warren Daw dropping to the bench, while Olly Brokenshire came in for the injured Joe Broad in midfield.

In the first 45 minutes, City were strangely flat and fell behind in the 19th minute when Lewis Hilliard was put clear and he calmly beat Ollie Chenoweth, rolling the ball past the keeper’s left hand.

City rarely threatened in the opening half and fell further behind ten minutes into the second period when Jake Woolley stole in at the far post to slot home Hilliard’s cross from the left.

This at last seemed to spark City into life and a tremendous strike from the right of the area by Watson gave them hope.

And that hope grew into reality ten minutes later when Watson made it 2-2, scoring at the far post off the underside of the bar, after Paul Kendall had headed Liam Eddy’s left wing cross back into his path.

But City’s defence, which had looked shaky all afternoon, was again breached ten minutes from time when Matt Nolan was left unmarked eight yards out to slip Hilliard’s left wing centre past the helpless Chenoweth.

Even the introduction of club skipper Jake Ash, after six months out with injury, in the closing minutes could not save City, as his goalbound drive was blocked by St Neots’ keeper Nathan Abbey.

City, who drop a place to 19th, must now try and regroup ahead of Monday’s trip to Redditch United.

City: Chenoweth; Tully, Pugh, Kendall, White; Lowry, Green, Brokenshire (Ash 87), Cooke (Copp 87); Watson, Afful (Eddy 44). Subs (not used); Daw, Fisher (GK).

Goals: Hilliard 18 (0-1), Woolley (55) 0-2, Watson (64) 1-2, Watson (74) 2-2, Nolan (81) 2-3.

Crowd: 417.

Referee Richard Corp (Frome).


No comments:

Post a Comment