29 January 2015

Truro City 2 v Chippenham Town0

A FEAST of attacking football it wasn't at Treyew on Tuesday evening – but City and their supporters won't care less.
It was all about the three points, and an early goal by Matt Wright and a second half penalty from Ed Palmer were enough to give City a fourth straight win and a ninth in their last 11 Evo-Stik Southern premier division outings.
The result against an in-form Chippenham side, who finished the match with ten men after the late sending off of defender Greg Tindle, further consolidated City's position in the play-off places.
They remain fourth, but are now level on points with the two teams above them – Weymouth and Corby Town – ahead of this Saturday's visit of struggling Burnham.
The game itself was not lacking in incident, despite the paucity of quality football, with Plymouth referee David Goard having a busy night.
There were also two penalties, with City keeper Charlie Burns saving Ashan Holgate's spot kick at the death to ensure a clean sheet.
Referee Goard booked five City players, plus two from Chippenham, as well as the two yellows which saw Tindle take an early bath.
This City side are always up for a scrap and they never allowed themselves to be bullied by the physical Wiltshire visitors.
Steve Tully freshened his side up by making four changes from the team that began Saturday's game against Dorchester Town, with Shane Krac, Barry Hayles, Matt Wright and Les Afful coming in for Dan Green, Isaac Vassell, Craig Duff and Danny Sullivan.
And the home side could hardly have got off to a better start.
The ever improving Danny Greenslade produced some great skill on the left, nutmegging Jordan Roberts, before firing in a cross for Wright to head powerfully home from close range after only five minutes.
But it was one of the rare moments of quality play in the opening 45 minutes as City were unable to build on the goal, though Hayles almost made it 2-0 when his shot from the right of the area was deflected just wide after he rounded Kent Kauppinen in the visitors' goal.
The big Chippenham side applied plenty of pressure, especially from set pieces, and Holgate did get the ball into the net but his header from a free-kick was ruled out for a push.
City defended manfully, but needed to improve their attacking game, and the introduction of Vassell and Sullivan for Hayles and Afful early in the second period certainly helped.
However, it took them until 17 minutes from time to give them some breathing space with a second goal.
Wright was needlessly brought down from behind as the ball looked to be heading out for a corner and Palmer put away the spot kick for his first City goal, although Kauppinen almost kept it out as he dived to his right.
The visitors' hopes were dented even further with seven minutes left, when Tindle saw red for pulling back Vassell, after being booked for a block on the same player minutes earlier.
There was even time for Burns to save a Holgate penalty at the death after Arran Pugh had been penalised for handball.
In the end it was another three points from a quickly forgettable game and City will be hoping to end the month with yet another victory when lowly Burnham visit Treyew on Saturday.
CITY: Burns; Farkins, Palmer, Pugh; White, Krac, Ash (capt), Afful (Sullivan 52), Greenslade; Hayles (Vassell 52), Wright (Duff 69). Subs (not used): Green, Moore.
Yellow cards: Hayles, Farkins, Greenslade, Ash, Sullivan.
CHIPPENHAM TOWN: Kauppinen; Smith, Osman, Coupe (capt), Tindle, Preece, Ferguson (Phillips 71), Roberts, Holgate, Ballinger (Guthrie 90), Guthrie, Subs (not used): Francis, Pook, Harvey.
Yellow cards: Roberts, Guthrie.
Red card: Tindle (two yellows).
Goals: Wright (5) 1-0, Palmer (pen) 73 2-0.
Crowd: 302.
Referee: David Goard

Follow us: @westbriton on Twitter | westbriton on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment