05 January 2015

Chesham United 3 v Truro City 0

This was one of only three Southern Premier fixtures to beat the bad weather, and Chesham took full advantage with a convincing win over play-off chasing Truro. Boosted by an early goal, Chesham played some of their best football of the season and were good value for their win.

Chesham were unchanged from the New Year’s Day win over Burnham, and made a perfect start with a goal in the eighth minute. Dave Pearce took a corner short to Ashley Smith who crossed, Simon Thomas battled for the ball with keeper Charlie Burns and Ryan Blake stretched to stab the loose ball over the line from close range. Two minutes later an Ed Palmer free kick was headed on by Rob Farkins to Barry Hayles whose glancing header was comfortably saved by Shane Gore, but Chesham grew in confidence after the goal. After 26 minutes Ryan Blake looked to have timed his run perfectly to meet Luke Allen’s through ball and slip the ball past the advancing goalkeeper, but the linesman thought otherwise. Truro came closest when Isaac Vassell challenged for the ball in the Chesham area, and the ball ran to Jake Ash whose effort was cleared off the line by George Fenton. Vassell then found some space and worked the ball onto his left foot, but Shane Gore was able to watch as the resulting shot from the edge of the area flew wide.

Truro made a double substitution at half-time, sacrificing a defender as they chased the game. Early in the half another Ed Palmer free kick was headed wide of the far post by Matt Wright, but as Truro pushed more men forward Chesham took advantage. Ryan Blake hooked over from Ashley Smith’s pass, Toby Little cut in from the left and drilled the ball across goal, then Luke Allen shot just wide after Burns punched out a Toby Little free kick. After 69 minutes Toby Little’s ball forward was touched on by Ryan Blake to Simon Thomas, who ran clear to slot the ball past Burns into the corner of the net. Truro were looking like a beaten side and Toby Little ran into the area but Burns saved the resulting shot, then Dave Pearce’s cross was headed back across goal by Ryan Blake to Luke Allen but Burns got down to save. Allen broke forward but shot past the far post, then at the other end Craig Duff’s glancing header was saved by Shane Gore low to his right. After 86 minutes Luke Allen capped a fine display with a surging run from midfield and a shot into the bottom corner of the net to make it 3-0. Chesham held on for their third consecutive clean sheet, marred only by an injury to Tom McConway in stoppage time.

Chesham United      Truro City

Shane Gore             Charlie Burns
Ashley Smith         Arran Pugh
Toby Little              Danny Greenslade
George Fenton       Jake Ash
Darren Purse          Rob Farkins
Luke Allen            Ben Gerring
Nathan Poulton     Ed Palmer
Tom McConway   Shane White
Ryan Blake           Barry Hayles
Simon Thomas      Isaac Vassell
Dave Pearce          Craig Duff

Mark Bell             Matt Wright
Alex Brown         Kyle Moore
Connor Wood      Les Afful
Daniel Brathwaite  Cody Cooke
Eman Rowe         Dan Green

Wood for Little 89 Wright for Hayles 45
Bell for Poulton 90+1 Cooke for Pugh 45
Brown for McConway 90+3 Afful for Vassell 73

Blake 8
Thomas 69
Allen 86
McConway 9 Gerring 78
Blake 86

Chesham United Man of the Match: Dave Pearce


No comments:

Post a Comment