19 January 2015

Hitchin Town 1 Truro City 2

Hitchin's nine game unbeaten run came to an end as Truro came out 2-1 winners of a well contested game. Manager Mark Burke while not pleased with the result was honest enough to admit that Truro just shaded the game and were one of the best teams Hitchin have faced this season. He rued two defensive errors that led to the goals and felt we were unlucky to see the Truro keeper make two excellent saves in the second half but Hitchin could not be faulted for effort.

Truro were physically strong with a number of tall players giving them a height advantage but they could play good football too. They had a number of vastly experienced players who had footballing nous including the apparently ageless Barry Hayles who headed the winning goal. In contrast Hitchin had a much younger side who lack Truro's experience but are improving all the time.

Brett Donnelly replaced Simon Martin in the only change from last week as Hitchin played a 4-2-3-1 system. Isaac Vassell hit a shot in to the side netting after 10 minutes as Truro started well and it was slightly against the run of play when Brett Donnelly gave Hitchin the lead. His original header from a Lewis Rolfe cross came back off the post and he buried the rebound after 22 minutes. Jonny McNamara and Callum Donnelly both had shots that went wide but space was at a premium with both sides closing down very quickly. Callum Donnelly seemed to be fouled very close to if not inside the penalty area but the referee did not produce his whistle.

Truro made a good start to the second half and within 13 minutes were ahead. The equaliser came from Shane White who despatched a close range finish but Hitchin will feel they should have cleared the danger. Then eight minutes later Hayles was allowed a free header after a free kick from Danny Greenslade. It could have got worse but Charlie Horlock made a brilliant save from Vassell's header.

Hitchin then got back in to the game and Alasan Ann made a surging run and hit a terrific shot that Charlie Burns tipped over the bar. Hitchin were now in the ascendancy and Burns made another fine stop from Brett Donnelly's close range shot.  Ian Rees replaced Matt Lench and Simon Martin replaced Brett Donnelly later on as Hitchin kept pushing for the equaliser but it was not to be.

Another tough game with Corby on Monday continues a hard run of fixtures but Hitchin have proved they are not far behind the best teams in the league and a top ten finish is certainly achievable.

Horliock, Rolfe, Walster, Ann, Webb, Barker, McNamara, Lench, B Donnelly, C Donnelly, Kirkpatrick  Subs Martin for BDonnelly 87, Noone, Rees for Lench 68, O'Malley, Williams

Burns, White, Greenslade, Ash, Farkins, Pugh, Green. Palmer, Hayles, Vassell, Duff  Subs Wright for Hayles 68, Moore, Afful for Vassell 73, Sullivan for Duff 46, Tully

Hitchin Rolfe
Truro Greenslade and Pugh

Attendance 397

Roy Izzard

No comments:

Post a Comment