16 February 2014

Former Truro City star Yetton says he has unfinished business with the club (by Rhod Mitchell)

TRURO City scoring legend Stewart Yetton has not ruled out a return to the club despite his glittering career with the White Tigers ending under a cloud last year.

The 28-year-old striker, who netted a record 226 goals in 315 City appearances, before leaving the club at the end of last season following a training ground bust up, makes his return to Treyew Road on Tuesday evening, leading the attack with new club Weymouth.

And the popular forward admitted he regretted the manner of his departure from the club and thinks he has some unfinished business.

He said: “Truro still means a lot to me. It is the first non-league result I look for and I am looking forward to coming back and seeing some old faces.
      
“I did leave a bit acrimoniously and it would be nice to think that one day I will play for them again.

“It was not the way I would have chosen for it to end and I think I let the club down and would like to repay all the faith everyone had in me down there. I had some great years there.”

Yetton though has signed a two year deal with the Dorset club so an imminent return is perhaps unlikely.

The former City fans’ favourite has proved a success for the Terras and has played every minute of all 27 of their league games and is their top scorer with 15 goals.

“It took a few weeks to come to terms with a new changing room, but they are a good bunch of lads and I am enjoying it,” he said.

Also at Weymouth are two more former City players in Scott Walker and Barry McConnell, though they have lost their starting places recently.

Yetton added: “I will always back myself to outscore anyone in the team. At 28 I think I am still in my prime. I don’t have to worry about losing my pace as I never had any!”

It has not been an easy season for Weymouth, who many expected to be challenging for promotion before the start of the campaign.

And their disappointing start cost manager Brendon King his job, with goalkeeper Jason Matthews taking over.

But they still languish in 13th place, some 14 points off a play-off place.

Yetton added: “It is a tough league and I don’t think you can say we have underachieved as the league table does not lie after so many games.

“We really only have pride to play for. We are not going to get promoted or relegated but obviously want to finish as high as we can. Truro have a young developing side and it should be a good game and their chairman Pete Masters has shown great commitment and passion. I just hope I don’t go into the wrong dressing room.”


 

No comments:

Post a Comment