14 April 2012

Defeat leaves City facing nervous end to the season

Article by Rhod Mitchell, images by Steve Rogers.

Truro City 1 Bromley 2
City were unable to ensure their place in Blue Square Bet South for next season as they suffered a disappointing home defeat against the struggling Kent side in the wind and rain at Treyew Road.

Walking in a Gritton wonderland
The result dropped City to 15th in the table, seven points clear of safety, but still not totally safe, especially as their final two matches are at newly-crowned champions Woking next Saturday and then at home to runners-up Dartford on the final day of the season, April 28.

They will be hoping that other results in the meantime go their way so they so they do not need anything from those matches.

After a poor first half in difficult conditions City took the lead two minutes into the second period when Andy Watkins rifled the ball into the roof of the net from a cross by Martin Gritton, who was then denied by Bromley keeper Joe Welch.
Andy Watkins

Arran Pugh headed Scott Walker's corner just wide, but City were unable to kill the game off and allowed Bromley back into the match with Michael Malcolm beating the home side's ineffectual offside trap and calmly beating Tim Sandercombe in the City goal.

Sandercombe was making his first City start since the beginning of December after he suffered a serious knee injury.

The keeper, who enjoyed a fine return, then made a great save to deny Malcolm a second with Anthony Thomas lobbing just over the bar, while at the other end Welch produced good saves to keep out shots from Walker and Gritton.

But with 13 minutes left, and just after Walker had produced a miraculous goalline clearance to keep out substitute Hakeem Araba's shot, the visitors took the lead.
Scotty Walker sliding tackle

From a free-kick on the edge of the area Danny Waldren's effort took a wicked deflection giving the helpless Sandercombe no chance.

City tried to come back with Watkins shooting wide from their best chance after Welch had only parried a shot from substitute Barry Hayles.

But they could not find an equaliser and although their fate is still in their own hands face an anxious finale to the season.

TRURO CITY : Sandercombe; McConnell, Pugh, Adams, Walker; Yetton (Afful 81), Ash (capt) (Broad 30), Kelly (Hayles 66), Cooke; Watkins, Gritton. Subs (not used): Martin, Vassell.

BROMLEY: Welch; Henriques (capt), Patterson, Fuseini, Swaibu, Harwood, Joseph-Dubois, Waldren, Thomas (Araba 73), Malcolm, Jarrett. Subs (not used): Jones, Rhule, Ibrahima, Williams,
Referee: Iain Parsons (Salisbury).

Half time: 0-0
Scorers: Watkins (47) 1-0, Malcolm (56) 1-1, Waldren (77) 1-2)
Crowd: 537

No comments:

Post a Comment