12 March 2017

Truro City 1 – 2 Wealdstone

Wealdstone’s remarkable resurgence continued in the Cornish mist at Treyew Road on Saturday with another highly resolute performance and victory on the road.Stones have now gained maximum points from their last 6 National League South matches and are unbeaten in eight; five of the wins have been away from home and they now sit in 8th spot in the league and are currently 7 points from the play-offs.Similar to previous performances this was not a ‘pretty’ win but was all the more commendable with Stones having to field a patched up side with key defender Eddie Oshodi missing through suspension and other players still unavailable through injury. But a will to dig in, combined with fine teamwork all over the park ensured that Wealdstone came through with goals from the ever-improving Joe White and Tom Hamblin who netted the winner 9 minutes from the final whistle.Stones made a slow start to the contest with City pressing and gaining two early corners. But on 12 minutes Stones carved out a decent chance when the lively Aryan Tajbakhsh blazed a powerful strike just over the bar.It wasn’t long before Stewart Yetton went close for the home side with City having the attacking edge.Then an incident that sparked a change in the fortunes in the game.  On 27 minutes Wes Parker dramatically headed a goal bound strike off the line but within a minute Stones had gone ahead. Good work from a clearance up field that was worked into midfield by Tajbakhsh and Ricky Wellard eventually found Joe White who kept his head brilliantly, found space and fired the ball into the far corner beating Keeper Martin Rice.Stones had further chances to add to their lead before half time from Green and Parker but the away side were undone by an unfortunate defensive error a minute before the break that was completely against the run of play. From a City attack the ball wasn’t dealt with fully and when the ball came back into the danger area Ciaron Brown’s attempted clearance caught a bobble leaving space for Jamie Richards to rifle past Jonathan North.

Stones were on the back foot for much of the early period of the second period and they struggled to get going with Elliott Godfrey now substituted for Johnny Wright. North was being called into action and clawed away a good chance for the White Tigers.This was the most frustrating period of the contest for Stones with attacks breaking down as City continually launched high balls to test the defence. Tyler Harvey for the home side went close but Wealdstone finally started to get a grip on the play late on.Substitute Omar Koroma came on for young Joe White and this sparked some fresh attacking urgency from the away side. Koroma crashed a header against the cross bar from a corner and then Stones struck with 9 minutes left on the clock.

Another corner was fired in and Tom Hamblin got down at the far post to bundle the ball in to huge celebrations from the players and 100 fans who had made the long 260 mile trip to Truro

Stones will face their toughest test by far next Saturday (18th March) when they entertain play off side Chelmsford City at The Vale.Wealdstone: North, Parker, Brown, Mavilla, Hamblin, Godfrey, Green, Cox, White, Wellard, Tajbakhsh. Subs used: Wright, Koroma, McGleish. Not used: Lafleur, Bonfield (GK)

By Nick DuGard


No comments:

Post a Comment