08 September 2016

Truro City 2 Hungerford Town 0

City bounced back from Saturday's 6-0 home drubbing at the hands of East Thurrock United, to earn only their second National League South win of the season and their first at home, as they deservedly beat the West Berkshire visitors on Tuesday night.
First half goals by Cody Cooke and Niall Thompson were enough to give City the points, which lifted them  three places up the table to 16 th, ahead of Saturday's visit to Oxford City.
The passion and commitment that seemingly was so lacking on Saturday was there in abundance, as they never stopped running and battling for the 90 minutes to earn a precious win their first at home since April 5 when they beat Dartford.

No doubt stung by the heavy criticism they received after the East Thurrock defeat, the City players were really up for the fight against a good Hungerford side.
And they were not to be denied the win, even as Hungerford threw everything at them in the second half, as City defended with their lives to keep only their second clean sheet of the season.
The team showed three changes from Saturday, with keeper Tom McHale making his first start of season in goal in place of the injured Adriano Basso, while Arran Bentley started at right back, with Ben Adelsbury restored to the midfield as River Allen and player-coach Rory Fallon dropped to the bench.
Manager Lee Hodges was suffering from a severe bout of flu and watched the match from the stands, leaving Fallon in the dug out.
It was the visitors, whose new signing, former England full back Nicky Shorey did not travel as expected, who began the better, with Stefan Brown missing an early chance when after being put clear down the left, he shot just wide of the far post.
But it was City who opened the scoring after 11 minutes, with their first meaningful attack, as the excellent Ryan Brett crossed low from the right of the area for Cooke to score his third of the season with an emphatic finish.
Buoyed by the goal, City continued to press with Cooke shooting at Legg, while the tireless Rocky Neal, who played largely a lone role up front, was well wide with a volley.
Hungerford though continued to threaten with Garyn Preen testing McHale , Ian Herring heading over and  Luke Williams blasted wastefully over the bar.
At the other end, Brett was just unable to finish off a Cooke cross from the left, which Legg did well to claim, but City did get their second two minutes before the break.
Neal showed great persistence on the left before finding Thompson on the edge of the area and he drilled a superb strike past the left hand of the helpless Legg and into the bottom corner.
It was the perfect time to score and the question was whether City could hold onto their 2-0 lead, having twice already drawing games which they had led by the same margin this season.
Hungerford began strongly after the break with Preen lobbing over from a flick by Brown.
For Truro, an Ollie Knowles corner flashed across the six yard box, as City sought the comfort of a third.
Hungerford though were not going to go down quietly with sub Harry Goodger and skipper Matt Pay both heading over from free-kicks.
McHale, who had a fine game, brought off an excellent save to keep out a Luke Williams drive and the midfielder then clipped the top of the bar with a fierce strike.
City's defence though was unyielding,  led by skipper and man of the match Arran Pugh, backed up by the rest of his fired up side who chased and harried every ball.
Brett was denied a third for City as Legg kept out his well struck free-kick, as the home side finished the game strongly and fully deserved the applause of the home crowd as they came off at the end.
What a difference four days make.
Truro City: McHale; Bentley, Pugh (capt), Smith, Richards, Thomson, Knowles (Allen 75), Cooke, Brett, Thompson, Neal.
Subs (not used): Crago, Fallon, Afful, White.
Yellow card: Knowles
Hungerford Town: Legg; Tyler, Jones, Day, John, Clark (Goodger 62), Herring (Bignall 62), Williams, Preen, Jarvis, Brown (McGrory 62).
Subs (not used): Rusby, Boardman
Yellow card: Jones:
Goals: Cooke (11) 1-0, Thomson (43) 2-0.
Referee; Marc Whaley.
Crowd 406.


No comments:

Post a Comment