22 August 2016

Truro City 2-2 Chelmsford

Ten man Truro City denied opening day win by 89th minute Chelmsford goal
By Rhod Mitchell | August 06, 2016


Truro City 2 Chelmsford City 2
Ten man City conceded a 89th minute goal as they were denied an opening day National League South victory ,after leading the Essex visitors 2-0 at half time.
Goals by Cody Cooke, on his 200th City appearance and Shane White had put the home side in command at the break and they also missed chances to put the game out of sight.
But after the break, Chelmsford applied plenty of pressure, with a Chris Rush free-kick on the hour getting them back into the match.


And with 20 minutes left, City's cause was not helped when River Allen was sent off for a second bookable offence after making a rash challenge, after picking up a soft yellow card in the first half for not retreating ten yards from a free-kick.
City though held out until a minute from time when substitute Shamir Mullings headed home from close range to ensure honours ended even on a hot afternoon at Treyew Road.
It was the first competitive game back for City manager Lee Hodges and he gave a debut to new signing Adriano Basso in goal and the former Bristol City and Hull No 1 enjoyed an outstanding match.
Rory Fallon, River Allen, Niall Thompson also started alongside seven of last season's successful squad.
And the game could hardly have started better for City as Cooke pounced on a defensive mistake to lash the ball past Chelmsford keeper Joe Welch in the fifth minute.
But Basso then had to bring off a superb close range double save to deny Billy Bricknell before after 22 minutes White latched onto a loose ball from Ryan Brett's corner to drill a low shot into the net to make it 2-0.
It was virtually all Truro and Brett had a shot cleared off the line with Welch beaten and just before the break wasted a golden chance to make it 3-09 when he shot wide at the far post from Cooke's cross.
Just before half time City skipper Arran Pugh put in a superb challenge to deny Bricknell and ensure the home side went in 2-0 up at the break.
At the start of the second half Thompson's first time shot forced a fingertip save from Welch, but it was a rare threat from the home side in the second period.Chelmsford continued to apply the pressure and finally beat Basso with Rush's free-kick into the bottom corner.
After Allen saw red for his challenge on Ashley Miller, it was really backs to the wall for City.But they dug deep with Basso somehow denying sub Shaun Jeffers, with Robbie Wilmott blasting the loose ball over.
City though looked to have done enough to secure all three points until Mullings rose at the far post to power home a Willmott cross for the right to ensure a point.It was tough on the home side after such a good start, but there was plenty of positives to take into Tuesday's match at Gosport Borough who lost 3-0 at Maidenhead United.
TRURO CITY: Basso; White, Pugh (capt), Bentley, Richards, Allen, Cooke, Adelsbury, Brett, Fallon, Thompson (Neal 82). Subs (not used): Hardcastle, Afful, Williams, McHale.
CHELMSFORD CITY: Welch; Miller (Graham 70), Haines, Bush, Blanchett (Mulings 82), Willmott, Daley, Church, Cornhill, Willmott, Bricknell, Reid (Jeffers 59). Subs (Not used): Merrifield, Bailey-Dennis.
Goals: Cooke (5) 1-0, White (22) 2-0; Rush (61) 2-1, Mullings (89) 2-2.
Crowd: 502.
Referee: Savva Yianni

No comments:

Post a Comment