01 September 2015

Gosport 3 v Truro City 1

A tale of two halves as Borough come from behind to beat Truro City and extend their unbeaten start to the season to seven games.

Before kick-off both sets of players walked out in unison and held a minutes silence for those lost their lives in the Shoreham air show disaster last weekend.
Alex Pike had gone with a fairly unchanged team from the one that came away from Dartford last weekend with three points as Ben Harding was the only change from the starting 11 with Mike Carter sitting out.
Once the visitors got the game under way all unison was chucked out of the window as Truro pushed Borough early on with Shane White hooking the ball around the wrong side of the post in the opening few minutes.
Truro continued to dominate the opening 15 minutes of the game with Ashmore once again showing why he is one of the best keepers in the league by getting down low to prevent Isaac Vassell, nephew of premier league legend Darius Vassell, putting the visitors ahead.
Once Boro' settled into the game chances came for Jamie White and Dan Wooden but it was Truro striker Matthew Wright who, against the run of play, put the White Tigers ahead on 24 minutes after Shane krac managed to squeeze past the Boro’ defence and place the ball onto Wright’s head.
Going a goal behind seemed to inspire Gosport who pressed the White Tigers defence and quickly found an equaliser eight minutes later.
A Tom Dunford corner found Harding on the edge of the box and his cross was found by captain Brett Poate and he cooly placed the ball in the back of the net.
Both teams continued to push the other for the remainder of the half with shots from both set of strikers but it was Truro who looked more likely to score as they took control.
As Gosport returned from the dressing room for the second half, the words of manager Alex Pike must have still been ringing in their ears. A different team from that of the first half came onto the field and dominated the game.
A goal mouth scramble gave the hosts a scare but Boro' were rewarded for all their hard work when a Ben Harding header put the boys in yellow ahead on the 64th minute.
And whilst the home fans were still celebrating, Dan Wooden turned past two players just inside the box and smashed the ball into the back of the net.
Two goals in two minutes eased the pressure on the home side and added the pressure on Truro to continue their unbeaten run on the road this season.
Alex Pike gave new signing Elliot Wheeler his debut shortly after Boro' took the lead with goal scorer Ben Harding making way.
Gosport saw out the rest of the game and continue their unbeaten start to the season and now sit third in the National League South.
It would be wrong to write a report and not mention the fantastic support from the Truro fans. Travelling almost five hours to Privett Park they were in full spirit throughout the game and after the final whistle.
There is no time for Borough to relax as they take on Hampshire rivals Basingstoke Town on Monday afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment