12 April 2015

Truro City 2 Corby Town 1

Tommy Wright felt Corby Town were a touch unfortunate as their Evo-Stik Southern League Premier Division title hopes were dented at Truro City. The table-topping Steelmen slipped to a 2-1 defeat against the third-placed side, despite taking an early lead through Stephan Morley. It was a tough one to take for the Corby boss and his players after they had led by the same scoreline in the original meeting between the clubs back in January, only for the floodlights to fail with just four minutes remaining and ensuring that the game had to be replayed in full. The bad feeling between the two clubs was inflamed again on Saturday as Wright confirmed the floodlights flicked on when the 86th minute, the same time they went off in January, came around. Wright wasn’t impressed by that but, in his usual manner, made few excuses for the loss. It wasn’t all bad news for Corby, however, as second-placed Poole Town could only draw 2-2 with Hitchin Town, which means the Steelmen can still claim the title if they win at Weymouth and Poole in their final two matches. “The lights came on in the 86th minute, which was a bit of a wind up,” Wright said. “We had a few fans there and doing something like that was silly because it was always going to get a reaction. To be honest, given the rawness of the situation, it could have kicked off. “A couple of our fans went on the pitch, which shouldn’t have happened but it all stemmed from the ridiculous decision to flick the lights on. “But people know me by now. The game is done. It was tough to take but we accept it and we move on. “We went 1-0 up with a fortunate goal because their goalkeeper fumbled Steph’s free-kick into his own net. “But we have been done by one ball over the top for their first goal, although it was a very good finish, and the penalty at the end was probably a bit harsh. “It was always going to be the case that if there was anything between the two sides then it would only be one goal. “I am not going to say we did enough to win the game because we didn’t but I think a point apiece would have been fair.” The Steelmen remain four points clear of Poole, who play the first of two games in hand against Banbury United on Tuesday night, at the top of the table. Corby travel to Weymouth, who slipped out of the play-off places after losing 3-0 to Banbury at the weekend, next Saturday. TRURO CITY (4-1-3-2): McHale; White, Farkins, Palmer, Brett, Krac, Green (capt), Allen (Ash 19), Cooke (Affful 77), Wright, Duff (Vassell 65). Subs (not used): Pugh, Moore (GK). Yellow cards: Allen, Vassell. CORBY TOWN (4-2-3-1): Walker; Thomas, Anton, N'Goma, Morley, Gasgoigne (Milnes 56), Taylor (capt), Byrne, Mills, Carvalho (Wright 75), Weir-Daley. Subs (not used): Kennedy, Donkin, Hoban. Yellow cards: Gascoigne, Mills, Byrne, Milnes, Taylor. Goals: Morley (4) 0-1, Duff (56) 1-1, White (pen 87) 2-1. Man of the match: Dan Green (Truro City) Referee: Adam Penwell Attendance: 510 Read more: http://www.westbriton.co.uk/Truro-city/story-26318047-detail/story.html#ixzz3X7LRDbJV Follow us: @westbriton on Twitter | westbriton on Facebook http://www.northantstelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/tough-one-to-take-as-steelmen-s-hopes-are-hit-1-6684972

No comments:

Post a Comment