29 April 2015

Truro City 1 Hungerford Town 0

A dramatic goal five minutes from time by substitute Isaac Vassell earned City a place in the Evo-Stik Southern premier promotion final where they will take on St Neots Town at Treyew Road on Monday (3pm). The semi-final game looked to be heading for extra time and possibly penalties, when City at last made their pressure tell with Vassell heading home from Shane White's right wing cross. It was the full back's 15th assist of the season. The goal sparked delirious celebrations from players and fans alike and now victory over St Neots, who won 1-0 at Poole Town in the other semi-final, will see City return to playing Conference South football, though next season it will be called the National League South. The goal was no more than City deserved as they had much the better of the game, with keeper Tom McHale not having shot to save all night. But until Vassell's match winning goal it had been a frustrating night for the home side, with Hungerford keeper Paul Strudley, who was their man of the match, in outstanding form having dashed back from Germany to play in the game. However, it all ended well and City can now look forward to Monday's showdown against the Cambridgeshire side who are unbeaten in 17 games. City though at home are a formidable unit and tonight's win stretched their record to 15 games without defeat at their Treyew fortress. After resting his first choice team for Saturday's trip to Histon, City boss Steve Tully named a completely new starting XI from the one that lost that game 3-1, with Criag Duff preferred to Vassell up front. And from the start, it was clear City carried the greater threat with Craig Duff and Matt Wright both going close. Duff also headed against then post when he should have found the net, but the offside flag spared his blushes. For Hungerford James Clark missed their best opening, as he blasted wastefully over, but that was the closest they came against a mean City defence in which Ed Palmer was outstanding. Not surprisingly much of the play was frantic, with a lot of aimless high balls as neither side wanted to make a costly error as the half finished goalless. It was a similar story after the break, with City continuing to press in search of a breakthrough and only the brilliance of Paul Strudley in the Hungerford goal kept the score 0-0. He turned a piledriver of a free from Ed Palmer onto the bar and Wright could not capitalise on the loose ball and the Hungerford keeper was at it again to keep out Palmer free-kick as he dived to his right. And it looked as if it might be one of those nights for Steve Tully's side until Vassell scored his and City's most important goal of the season, with White providing the cross from the right giving Vassell the chance to become City's hero on the night with a rare headed goal. Nothing is won yet, but City and their fans will believe they can get the job done on Monday. Be there. CITY: McHale; White, Farkins, Palmer, Brett; Green, Ash (capt), Cooke (Afful 89), Krac; Wright (Hayles 90 +1), Duff (Vassell 69). Subs (not used): Pugh, Moore. Yellow cards: None. HUNGERFORD TOWN: Strudley; Horgan, Boardman, Rusby, Diak; O'Brien, Pilling, Collins, Clark (Osei-Tuti 87), Mpi, Draycott (Goodger 78). Subs (not used): Harrison, Stow, Rees. Yellow cards: Boardman, Diak. Goals: Vassell (85) 1-0. Referee: Adam Ricketts. Crowd: 820. Man of the match: Ed Palmer. Read more: http://www.westbriton.co.uk/Vassell-s-late-strike-takes-Truro-City-promotion/story-26404761-detail/story.html#ixzz3YiioznvV Follow us: @westbriton on Twitter | westbriton on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment