24 March 2013

Welling match report, by Daniel, Welling


Truro City 0 Welling United 3

By Daniel Welling | Saturday 23rd March 2013

Welling move closer to title after professional 3-0 victory against Truro City

Welling opened up a nine point gap at the top of the table as they were the only team in the top seven to play and made it count with an easy victory over bottom placed Truro City 3-0.

First half goals from Theo Fairweather Johnson and Ross Lafayette gave the Wings a 2-0 lead into the break and with the game effectively won, the second half saw the Wings bench bring on three substitutes in quick succession for the big game against Chelmsford in mind. A second goal from Lafayette from the spot finished off the scoring.

Day made just one change to the side that lost to Bath on Tuesday with Fairweather Johnson replacing Kiernan Hughes Mason. The rumoured resting of Lafayette did not come to pass as the striker started his 30th league game in a row.

Welling were keen to show the gap between the teams in the league table was a reflection of the team’s ability as Day’s free kick hit the side netting after just 90 seconds and Lafayette snatched a shot wide after a poor Truro clearance fell straight to him as Welling continued to send balls forward which Truro worked hard to deal with.

The Wings had struggled to score from open play in the past two games and needed an early goal to settle the travelling fans nerves. They duly obliged on 19 minutes as Jake Gallagher drove forward and played a great through ball to Fairweather Johnson who shot first time straight into the net to mark his first start in seven games.

The Wings should have doubled their lead a minute later when Lafayette shot wide after another excellent Gallagher layoff as the Wings were helped by a surprisingly consistent pitch after the persistent terrible weather that postponed nine matches in the league.

It was still bitterly cold and on 22 minutes, the Wings’ defence suddenly froze as a loose ball drifted across the penalty box and first to the ball was Andy Watkins’ whose shot hit the post. Martin desperately got back to clear the follow up just before Barry Hayles could tap into the empty net.

The energetic Watkins had terrorised the league leaders at Park View Road and was doing his best to get the White Tigers back into the game as his shot straight at Turner. The home side were holding their own as Martin Watts’ free kicks caused the Wings some problems as a back post delivery found Paul Kendall who headed just over the bar whilst arching backwards.

Welling had looked comfortable at the back since the home side hit the post and began to flex their muscles going forward as the half drew to a close particularly down the right wing with Fraser Franks and the impressive Fairweather Johnson combining well.

With three minutes to go until half time, Welling made it 2-0 as Lee Clarke nutmegged Ben Gerring and drove a hard shot at Luke Payne. The goalkeeper could only parry the ball straight to Lafayette who had the simple task of sticking the ball into the net for his 18th goal of the season.

Two minutes after the restart, Day fired a hard shot over the bar but it was clear from the outset of the half that the Wings had dropped down a couple of gears with Truro offering almost nothing of quality going forward.

Fairweather Johnson continued his fine game by dispossessing Ben Williams but Kendall got a good block in to stop the shot as the home side were dealt a new blow as their best player of the half Watts was forced off with an injury as Matt Wright came on.

The substitute was responsible for the third Welling goal as Gallagher and Anthony Acheampong combined brilliantly on the edge of the box forcing Wright into bringing down the big defender in the box for a penalty.

With Joe Healy absent, Lafayette stepped up and despite Payne getting a strong hand to the shot pushing it onto the post, the ball crawled over the line by about three inches for the Wings’ third goal and Lafayette’s second – the first time he had scored more than one goal in a game.

A blow up between Truro’s captain Jordan Ash and Gallagher added a bit of spice to an otherwise flat game causing both players to be booked.

Truro could have got a consolation goal with 20 minutes to go as Wright somehow missed the target with the goal at his mercy after great a run and cross by Watkins on the left wing.

With the game won, the Welling bench shuffled their pack bringing off three players in six minutes to rest them for the pivotal run in that is to come. Man of the match Fairweather Johnson, goalscorer Lafayette and the superb Gallagher were the ones to be withdrawn.

Welling finished the game still searching for a third as Jack Obersteller’s shot was well saved by Payne and Scott Kinch just missed out on another ‘Kinch special’ as his volley just flashed wide. Referee Powell put the home fans out of their misery blowing for full time with the score 3-0.

No comments:

Post a Comment