05 March 2013

Andy Watkins hits two as Truro City end long wait for home win

Source This is Cornwall - Western Morning News

Player-manager Lee Hodges got the home win he desired as Truro City ended a run of seven successive Treyew Road defeats, beating Hayes and Yeading United 3-1.

Goals from winger Les Afful and striker Andy Watkins (two) gave City their first Blue Square Bet South double of the season.

Veteran sweeper Hodges was in seventh heaven come full-time and said: "That was for the fans.

"We had lost seven in a row at home but they come here week-in, week-out to cheer us on and the players really appreciate the support they give us.

"They even clap us off when we lose. I have said it before, but they have stuck with us through thick and thin this season, so it was great to finally get that home win for them.

"We get great support away as well and we have tended to play our best football and get our best results on the road, so it was nice to finally come here and do the business.

"I have said that we can compete with anyone in the league and Hayes were a side up there in the top ten.

"Both the central defenders, Ben Gerring and Paul Kendall, were dominant and had great 90 minutes, Barry Hayles was like a man possessed up front and gave great support to Watto, who just keeps scoring goals for us.

"It was a great all-round team performance, and it would be wrong of me to single out any individuals because everyone had their part to play.

"Les got his goal and always does well and Cody Cooke was 20 today and played really well on his birthday, and Marcus Martin came back in and made a real difference. I thought we missed him last Tuesday [when Truro lost 2-1 to Weston-super-Mare].

"We were dominant from start to finish. We were a bit nervous at 2-1, so Andy making it 3-1 in the 90th minute was the icing on the cake.

"All-in-all, it was much more like it, a really good team performance, and it just goes to show what we can do on our day."

Hodges made three changes from the team that started in midweek, with Hayles, Martin and Ben Williams coming in for Matt Wright, Martin Watts and Calron Hall.

Despite being on top from the off, City and their supporters had to wait until the 38th minute for their opener.

Hayles released Watkins down the left and his low cross was expertly finished by Afful.

City doubled their advantage in the 56th minute when a long free-kick from Hodges was flicked on by Gerring for Watkins to finish well.

Hayes hit back when a cross from the left by Kudus Oyenuga was unluckily turned into his own net by City central defender Kendall, under pressure from substitute Julian Owusu.

In the 90th minute Watkins coolly lobbed goalkeeper Louis Wells for his tenth goal of the season to send the home fans into raptures.

No comments:

Post a Comment