24 August 2017

Truro City 0 v Eastbourne Borough 1

By Kevin Anderson
It is a long, long road to Truro City – and an even longer road back unless you have something to show. But after 88 minutes of stalemate, Ryan Worrall’s (pictured) late goal seized the three points for Eastbourne Borough and ensured a happy trip home.
Jamie Howell’s side is taking shape and finding some decent form. After two early defeats, the Sports have now taken five points from three games, and their manager was understandably upbeat.
“Today has been a good day – it’s a very happy bus this evening!” commented the Gaffer, speaking from somewhere on the M27. “I’m delighted for all involved. Everyone has worked really hard over the past few weeks - we had to dig in at times, but this result allows us to now settle into a more relaxed rhythm of Saturday games, with some time to work on things in training. But that is for next week - today we can enjoy the success."
The Sports had travelled on Friday, staying in Plymouth overnight, and it was the first real chance for this newly-assembled squad to get some bonding time. Gary Charman and Will Hendon were sidelined after their Hampton red cards, but player-coach Ian Simpemba returned to produce a superb performance, at the heart of a Borough defence which withstood some battering spells from the home side.
The White Tigers had started the season strongly, and are always a tough test on their home patch. But with minimal tweaks, and without sacrificing the Borough style, Howell has introduced a bit more steel into his side, and they reduced Truro to long shots and half-chances. Bailey Vose kept the Sports goal intact with one excellent save, point-blank from striker Cody Cooke in City’s best chance of the half.
Meanwhile Charlie Harris, the former Albion 21-year-old who is catching the eye in the Eastbourne midfield, produced a blazing strike which cannoned off the Truro crossbar and away. Then a Taylor shot was deflected narrowly wide, and from the corner Simpemba’s header was saved.
After the break, Borough still looked composed and organised, although they survived one scare when City substitute Tyler Harvey struck the post.
Then, with the final whistle looming, Worrall struck the killer blow. Pouncing on a loose ball on the right side of the penalty area, he drilled a perfect shot across the keeper and into the far corner of the net: a smashing goal to cap off a heartening team performance.
Borough: Vose; Khinda-John, Simpemba, Drage, Redwood; Worrall, Torres, Harris (Ransom 71), Odubade (McCallum 45), Pinney, Taylor (Street 78). Unused subs: Horlock, Crittenden.
Referee: A. Blake Att: 412
Borough MoM: Ian Simpemba – immense at the heart of defence


No comments:

Post a Comment