27 March 2016

Truro City 0 Sutton United 2

Play-off chasing City's long unbeaten home record of 14 matches and dating back until the end of August, was ended, as they went down to an accomplished Sutton side, who are still in with a big chance of taking the National League South title.
A first half goal from Ross Stearn and a late effort by Tom Bolarinwa were enough to condemn City to their first defeat since losing 6-0 to Oxford City, who they travel to play on Easter Monday, on August 31.
And on the day the Surrey side in the wind and rain were the better team, especially in the first half.
But despite the setback, City are still strongly placed to win a play-off place.with other results going their way as both Oxford and Gosport Borough lost, and they are still fourth in the table with games in hand on their rivals.
City boss Steve Tully made three changes for the match, with Shane White, Matty Jay and Matt Wright starting in place of Aaron Dawson, Cody Cooke and Isaac Vassell.
But in the first half City, never got going, as Sutton were in control for long periods.
A slip by Jamie Richards nearly let in Jamie Slabber whose effort was cleared for a corner by the legs of Martin Rice, while Dan Wishart shot over.
But it was from a Truro corner after 26 minutes that Sutton took the lead when they broke quickly through Bolarinwa, with City appealing in vain for an earlier handball, and Ross Stearn headed home from point blank range after the ball had come back off the bar from Nick Bailey's shot.
Martin Rice did well to deny Craig Dundas as Truro were glad to go in just 1-0 down at half time.
At half time Tully brought on Cody Cooke for Craig Duff and top scorer Isaac Vassell soon followed in place of Wright.
And Vassell soon had City's first shot on target after 51 minutes following a good run, while Jay shot just over with Dan Green shooting into the side netting
City continued to press. without looking too threatening and were caught out seven minutes from time when they over committed forward and Sutton broke quickly with Bolarinwa racing through to plant the ball past the helpless Rice.
City will now need to regroup for the Oxford game - the first of nine big games which will determine their play-off ambitions.
CITY: Rice; White, Pugh, Richards, Riley-Lowe; Knowles, Adelsbury (Afful 70), Green, Duff (Cooke h-t), Wright (Vassell 50), Jay.
Subs (not used): Brett, Dawson.
SUTTON UTD: Worner; Amankwaah, Wishart, Beckwith, Bailey, John, Bolarinwa (Cooper 84), Gomis, Dundas, Slabber (Fitchett 88), Stearn (Collins 75).
Subs (not used): Spence Gerrar.
Scorers: Stearn (27) 0-1, Bolarinwa (83) 0-2.
Referee: Savvas Yianni.
Half time: 0-1
Crowd: 613

Read more: http://www.westbriton.co.uk/Truro-City-s-long-unbeaten-home-record-ended/story-28998569-detail/story.html#ixzz446lzEQ00

No comments:

Post a Comment