28 February 2016

Bishop's Stortford 0 Truro City 3

Bishop's Stortford suffered their fourth defeat in a row with a 3-0 home loss to Truro City in the Vanarama National South.
The Blues went behind early to a goal from the ever-dangerous Isaac Vassell, who was a menace to the Stortford back four.And two more goals from Ryan Brett and Matty Jay sealed the match for the impressive play-off chasing City.
The result leaves the Blues still just six points above the drop zone and sets up a massive clash with Chelmsford City on Monday night. 
Boss Rod Stringer was missing from the fixture, leaving assistant Nick Haycock and coach Tony Fenn in charge.
There were four changes to the starting line-up that lost to Maidstone United the previous week, with Tom Lovelock, George Allen, Frankie Merrifield and Robbie Willmott all in the 11.
The Blues could have taken the lead in the first two minutes as Morgan Ferrier got down the right wing. He fired towards goal, which keeper Martin Rice parried into the path of Willmott. However, the winger's shot was blocked and Truro cleared away.
And from that clearance the visitors went straight up the other end and scored the opener. The dangerous Vassell, who was a handful all afternoon, latched on to a long ball. He beat Kenzer Lee and then slotted the ball past Lovelock.
The Blues were all over the place defensively in the first ten minutes, and City should have extended their lead. Once again Vassell beat his man down the right and fired a ball across. Dan Green was at the back post to finish it off, but Johnny Herd put in a superb block to clear the danger.
The game lost its intensity in the middle stage of the half, with the cut-up pitch making chances to come by difficult.
Stortford finally had their first shot on target with Elliott Buchanan got on the end of a Corby Moore cross in the 30th minute. However, his header was weak and straight into the arms of Rice.
But the visitors went close twice in the space of three minutes. Stortford gave the ball away cheaply and Jay slipped through Vassell. He fired across the goal, but Lovelock did brilliantly to tip the effort around the post.
Vassell thought he had bagged his second when he nodded home from close range, but the flag was raised for offside and the goal was chalked off.
Stortford finally started showing some impetus going forward with five minutes to go in the half. Ferrier did brilliantly down the left to win the ball and lay it back to Buchanan. However, the top scorer couldn't keep his effort down and it went high over the bar.
Buchanan then turned provider to Ferrier with a little clip over the top. The striker rushed through but right-back Shane White made a superb covering tackle to clear the danger.
From the following corner, the Blues probably wasted their best opportunity. Willmott was there to meet the flag-kick at the back post and clip it across goal. Merrifield met the ball but, under pressure he nodded over from inside the six-yard box.
The home side had Lovelock to thank for going into the break just one goal behind after a superb stop. White crossed into the unmarked Cody Cooke on the six-yard box, but the Stortford stopper did brilliantly to deny him from close range.
Stortford came out the blocks quickly and almost grabbed an equaliser four minutes after the break. Willmott clipped the ball over to Ferrier who turned inside and beat his man. However, his shot was saved by the legs of Rice and cleared away.
And almost in identical circumstances to the first goal, Stortford conceded a second just a minute later. Herd was caught in possession and Vassell got down the right. He crossed into Brett at the near post to nod home into the bottom corner.
It was almost a third for Truro as Jay raced through on goal in the 56th minute. However, his effort was saved by Lovelock, with Herd blocking the follow up well.
But as Stortford pushed hard for a way back into the game, they always looked susceptible to a counter-attack, which is exactly what happened in the 62nd minute. Vassell turned provider once again as he burst down the left. He slotted the ball across to Jay who had the simple task of tapping home to put the game beyond Stortford.
The Blues huffed and puffed to get something from the contest, with Ashley Miller clipping the bar with a header.
But in truth the home side lacked that cutting edge in front of goal, getting to the byline on several occasions, but the final ball going astray too often.
Ferrier had a massive shout for a penalty turned down when it looked like Jake Ash had pulled him down. But nothing was given in a frustrating afternoon for the striker.
Bishop's Stortford: Lovelock, Miller, Herd (M'Boungou 63), Ekim (Suarez 63), Lee, Allen, Moore, Merrifield, Buchanan (Lawrence 74), Willmott, Ferrier.
Subs not used: Lawrence, Abdullahi, St Louis-Hamilton.
Truro City: Rice, White, Riley-Lowe, Brett, Bentley (Ash 69), Pugh, Knowles, Green, Jay (Adelsbury 63), Vassell (Wright 75), Cooke.
Subs not used: Afful, Dawson.
Goals: Vassell (3), Brett (50), Jay (62)
Referee: Neil Hair
Attendance: 355

Read more: http://www.hertsandessexobserver.co.uk/Bishop-s-Stortford-0-Truro-City-3-Blues-slip/story-28819779-detail/story.html#ixzz41Snv5Ebs

No comments:

Post a Comment