16 December 2015

Cirencester 0 Truro City 1 (FA Trophy)

Cirencester Town suffered a heart-breaking exit from the FA Trophy as Truro City scored a controversial late penalty.
An evenly-contested first round replay appeared to be heading to extra-time until goalkeeper Glyn Garner brought down Isaac Vassell – the cousin of former England and Aston Villa striker Darius Vassell - and referee Anthony Coggins pointed to the spot despite Cirencester protests that the foul took place outside the box.
Shane White scored from the spot to deny the Centurions a potential plum second round tie at home to Macclesfield Town, whose replay against Ashton United was postponed.
Cirencester manager Brian Hughes named an unchanged team to the side that drew 2-2 in Truro, deciding once again not to risk Charlie Griffin's hamstring with Jamie Reid, the late hero from that game, also on the bench.
The wind can play a big part at the Corinium Stadium and within the first minute Truro goalkeeper Martin Rice had to be alert to tip Zack Kotwica's corner over the bar as it swung in late.
Cirencester used the elements to their advantage when a goal kick from Garner kept on travelling over the top of the Truro defence and the pacey Ross Langworthy latched onto it, but Rice came out to save at his feet.
Truro began to settle, though and created three chances in quick succession – A deflected Dan Green effort went over the bar, Craig Duff glanced wide from a corner and the best chance fell to Matt Wright, who had just Garner to beat after being sent through on goal by Duff but the ball stuck on the soggy surface before he curled his shot wide.
Cirencester then produced a lovely move to conjure up another good chance for Langworthy, with Kotwica getting on the end of a sumptuous Brad Hooper pass and sending in an inviting low cross, only for the striker to be thwarted by Rice again.
That was all in a frantic first 13 minutes but it went quiet after that as both sides struggled to create chances and went into the break all square.
The battle for supremacy continued early in the second half, Ellis Dunton dragging an effort wide for Cirencester and Ryan Brett's fierce striker coming off a defender as it went over at the other end.
Neither team looked like scoring until Truro were handed a penalty in the 86th minute. Connor Riley-Rowe sent a ball down the left channel and Vassell used his pace to get there ahead of Garner, who brought the substitute down.
The goalkeeper received a booking and White then stepped up to send him the wrong way.
Keen to make amends for his error in judgement, Garner came up for a Cirencester corner in stoppage time and got his head to it but the ball went over the bar.
Cirencester Town: G Garner, S Anson, A Bennett, E Dunton, R Langworthy, L Henry (c), M Liddiard, J Mortimer-Jones, B Hooper (A Connolly, 72), O Knight (C Griffin, 64), Z Kotwica. Subs not used: J Reid, S Farr, M Lloyd.
Truro City: M Rice, S White, C Riley-Lowe (P Mitchell 90), J Ash (c), J Richards, A Pugh, O Knowles, D Green, M Wright, C Duff (I Vassell, 70), R Brett (C Cooke, 62). Subs not used: L Afful.
Referee: Anthony Coggins.
Attendance: 123.
Star man: Ellis Dunton.               


Read more: http://www.gloucestershireecho.co.uk/Cirencester-Town-knocked-FA-Trophy/story-28372840-detail/story.html#ixzz3uVlTTx2S

No comments:

Post a Comment