23 October 2014

Truro City 2 v Paulton Rovers 0

IN HIS pre-match programme notes, City boss Steve Tully said he wanted his team to start "winning ugly" and his wish was granted at a windswept Treyew Road on Tuesday evening.
In a game which rarely rose above the ordinary City chiselled out a deserved and much needed win to arrest their recent slump in form which had seen them lose four games out of their last five.
It was a night which fortune favoured the home side as Paulton lost keeper Kyle Phillips midway through the first half with concussion and with no recognised reserve keeper midfielder Brandon Barnes had to take over in goal.
And a mistake by the unfortunate Barnes early in the second half saw him punch a Jamie Lowry inswinging corner into his own net to give City the breakthrough.
City then missed a chance to seal the points when Tully skied a penalty over the bar before substitute Isaac Vassell put the result beyond doubt with a neat lob in the first minute of stoppage time.
City though will not care how the win came, but were just grateful to get back to winning ways after their recent troubles.
Another bonus was that they managed only their second clean sheet of the season.
As assistant manager Wayne Carlisle said: "It is a result business and all about three points. The weather did not help the performance and when you have lost four out of the last five you will take any help you get."
After conceding another three goals at Biggleswade on Saturday and with Arran Pugh suspended, Tully brought himself into the centre of a new look three-man defence, flanked by Rob Farkins and Shane White.
Dan Green also returned after missing the Biggleswade game through injury, though Jake Ash kept the captain's armband. Barry Hayles was brought back to partner Matt Wright in attack, as Craig Duff (suspended) and Vassell (bench) dropped out of the starting line-up.
In difficult conditions the game was never going to be a classic, though City did look the more likely in the opening half.
They might have taken an 11th minute when Hayles could only blast over after keeper Kyle Phillips lost the ball as he tried to claim a cross.
Sadly for the Paulton No1 he suffered concussion in the incident and had to go off ten minutes later, Barnes taking over in goal and Josh Klein Davies coming on as a sub.
Soon after City also had to make a change as they lost Ryan Brett with a hamstring twinge and Chris Long took his place.
But City were unable to pressurise the stand-in keeper enough, though Barnes had to be alert to prevent an own goal after mistake by a Paulton defender.
At the other end Kyle Moore was rarely troubled in what was a dour opening half.
With the wind now in their favour, City started the second period well and Barnes's mistake broke the deadlock after 54 minutes.
The home side were well on top with Matt Wright shooting wide, while Vassell had a "goal" rightly ruled out for offside.
City needed a second and should have got it 15 minutes from time when Mike Bryant was penalised for what looked like a good tackle on Wright to concede a highly debatable penalty.
But perhaps justice was done as Tully's spot kick was blasted well over the bar, which meant a anxious finale for the home supporters on a chilly night.
City had to survive a couple of heart stopping moments as the visitors battled for an equaliser, but held firm and when Vassell made it 2-0 with a neat lob in the first minute of stoppage time it was game over to give the White Tigers their first league double of the season, having won 2-1 at Paulton back in August.
Now the question is whether they can put together a meaningful run of results, starting with Saturday's visit of Cambridge City (3pm).

Read more: http://www.westbriton.co.uk/Truro-City-v-Paulton-Rovers-mathc-report/story-23380380-detail/story.html#ixzz3GzLcdgz5

Read more at http://www.westbriton.co.uk/Truro-City-v-Paulton-Rovers-mathc-report/story-23380380-detail/story.html#1KIXQsqSvB5pEXju.99

No comments:

Post a Comment