26 August 2014

Bideford 1 Truro City 3

THREE headed goals condemned Bideford to a 3-1 defeat against Truro City in the Southern League this afternoon. Cody Cooke scored twice for the visitors and a late own goal from Chris McGrath confirmed their victory in front of 328 supporters at the Sports Ground. Bideford equalised in the first half when a shot from Ben Wood squirmed through the hands of goalkeeper Mike Searle. But the Robins’ frustration was compounded by an 88th-minute red card for Matt Bye following a reckless challenge. Related content Match report: Banbury United 2 Bideford 3 Bideford transition held up by floodlight failure Match report: Hitchin Town 3 Bideford 2 With both sides creating chances in an open game, the quality of Cooke in the final third made the difference. After starting the season with three straight defeats, Bideford were boosted by a 3-2 win at Banbury United on Saturday and started today’s game in positive mood. Manager Sean Joyce made two changes to the line-up with McGrath returning to the defence in place of Nick Barker and Lloyd Gardner starting on the right wing with Craig Veal dropping to the bench. Rob Farkins and Craig Duff were included in the Truro team, returning to face their former club for the first time. Truro should have taken the lead when Cooke made a surging run down the right wing and Barry Hayles, the former Plymouth Argyle striker, sliced badly wide at the near post. Cooke then picked out Isaac Vassell who shot into the side-netting as Lloyd Irish rushed out to close down the angle. The breakthrough came on 22 minutes when left back Chris Long stood a cross to the far post and Cooke rose to plant a header into the roof of the net. Bideford responded positively with Sean Downing testing Searle with a stooping header from a long throw by Ben Wood. The keeper dealt comfortably with that effort but will have nightmares about the equaliser scored by Wood in the 32nd minute. Downing controlled the ball and ran at the defence before picking out Wood whose shot from just inside the area somehow slipped through. Bideford were enjoying their best spell and Wood went close again, drilling into the side-netting after a quickly taken free kick from Bye. After the hosts stole possession from Duff just outside the box, Bye almost wriggled through the entire defence, only to see his effort scrambled to safety by Farkins. Truro replaced Hayles with Ben Watson at half time and the sub needed just four minutes to make an impact, combining with Cooke to restore the lead. Cooke continued his run into the box and when Watson fired the ball across goal, the forward reacted brilliantly to head past Irish into the top corner. The visitors could have increased their advantage as Duff shot over and Vassell went past Irish but saw Stephen Reed get back to clear off the line. Matt Wright, the Bideford striker, continued to cause problems for the Truro defence, competing well in the aerial duel against Farkins and Aaron Pugh. When Wright went in for a challenge with Searle the ball dropped for Richard Groves who could only shoot wide of the unguarded goal from a tight angle. It was a big chance for Bideford and there was a sense it would not be their day when, moments later, Downing’s neat finish at the end of a slick move was ruled out for offside. Truro began to assert their authority in midfield again and Irish had to save with his legs when Watson raced clear from a flick by Vassell. Duff then missed a chance to score against his former club, scuffing wide when Vassell turned down the opportunity to shoot. If Searle was at fault for Bideford’s goal, the keeper made amends with an excellent save to tip a free kick from Groves against the post. And Truro finally sealed the win with eight minutes to go when McGrath, under pressure from Duff, could only head a corner from Dan Green into his own net. There was still time for Groves to test Searle with another curling effort before Bideford’s slim hopes of getting back in the game ended with the red card for Bye. Having been dismissed in the goalless draw between the sides on Boxing Day, the midfielder was sent off for a second successive game against Truro. Bideford (4-4-1-1): Lloyd Irish; Ian Sampson, Chris McGrath, Nick Milton, Stephen Reed; Lloyd Gardner (Danny Wring 86), Matt Bye, Richard Groves, Ben Wood (Craig Veal 67); Sean Downing; Matt Wright. Subs not used: Graham Mercieca, Nick Barker, Kevin Squire. Goal: Wood 32. Yellow cards: McGrath, Downing, Wright. Red card: Bye. Truro City (4-3-3): Mike Searle; Shane White, Rob Farkins, Aaron Pugh, Chris Long; Jake Ash (Myles James 84), Dan Green, Craig Duff; Isaac Vassell, Barry Hayles (Ben Watson ht, Less Afful 76), Cody Cooke. Subs not used: Kyle Moore, Steve Tulley. Goals: Cooke 22, 49, McGrath (own goal) 82. Yellow cards: Duff, Pugh. Referee: Mark Derrin. Attendance: 328. Read more: http://www.northdevonjournal.co.uk/Match-report-Bideford-1-Truro-City-3/story-22816915-detail/story.html#ixzz3BUdVUxEp Read more at http://www.northdevonjournal.co.uk/Match-report-Bideford-1-Truro-City-3/story-22816915-detail/story.html#pyMpXFt8dttqbHmO.99

No comments:

Post a Comment