26 November 2013

Versatile Waders come of age - Biggleswade match report (courtesy official site)


                                                           Sam Reed 19 mins
                                                           Craig Daniel 87 mins

Report by your travelling reporter.

It somehow feels surreal walking into a football ground so far from home. I had the same feelings at Bideford earlier in the season, but this was a very different Biggleswade. Mostly the same personnel but a team that has developed quickly as the season moves on. The welcome we received from the staff at Truro made us feel at ease immediately and made for an enjoyable trip, especially returning with three more points.

As any home team should, Truro started at pace with their number ten Les Afful testing our man Brown in the first sixty seconds. Cody Cooke continued the theme as Truro pressed for an early opener.

Manager Nunn had certainly done his homework, good boy, as he had lined up the Waders to weather the onslaught. Newbie Lee Smith so creative in mid-week was used as cover along with Evan Key to add protection to the back four. There was never going to be a hatful of goals as most of the action took place in the middle of the park, the Waders dug in defending, desperate not to concede. 

With Nat Peacock and Sibling Sam doing their best up front, the big Truro defenders containing well, our first real attempt resulted in a goal on 19 minutes. Sam Reed got free on the left and his skilful right foot shot curled its way round the keeper and into the net. From here it was always going to be uphill for Truro who seemed shy in front of goal, an impatient crowd frustrated by the lack of chances created or not taken. At half-time Biggleswade could be pleased with the way the match was playing out.

Out for the second forty five and Truro were back at pace, hitting the upright within four minutes, creating a scramble in the Wader's area, the ball not wanting to depart very rapidly, being despatched but coming straight back. It took a Craig Daniel special to settle the game down as his wickedly deceiving shot just dipped as it went over the bar. From then on a series of substitutions saw Truro wanting something from this game but the resolute four of York, Coulson, Mawer and Gentle ably backed up by Key and Smith never let them have a sniff. So committed to forward play, late in the game Donnelly on for Peacock found Daniel in the box and his close range effort squeezed under the keeper.

Game up and Truro consigned to yet another home defeat. The 384 attendees upset by a lack of opportunities. Of that 384, ten were Green Army boys and girls, so well done to them for making the trip, glad  it was worthwhile.

Stourbridge, wreckers of dreams, on Tuesday. Interesting game with both teams having something to prove. Up the Waders.
Unusual as it is, just a mention for Gary our coach driver, strange chap!!  Driving 320 miles he preferred to have a nap in the coach instead of watching the Waders. Thanks Gary, the nap understandable as the weary Waders did not arrive back to Biggleswade until 0200 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment