30 October 2013

City earn crucial first home league win of the season (by Rhod Mitchell, West Briton)

Truro City 3 AFC Totton 2

At the eighth attempt, City earned their first home Calor League premier division victory of the season on a dramatic night at Treyew Road

Two goals by Liam Eddy and a headed winner from skipper Paul Kendall gave City a precious three points against their fellow strugglers, who they famously beat in the 2007 FA Vase final at Wembley.

The only negative was the late dismissal of midfielder Joe Broad, who played in that final, for kicking the ball away in stoppage time after having earlier been booked for a foul.

But that could not take away the relief for the home side in what was a real “six pointer”.

And they got off to a great start with Eddy latching onto Broad’s pass down the left after just two minutes and cleverly chipping Totton keeper Matt Fredericks to make it 1-0.

However, City were unable to build on that goal and gradually the Hampshire side started to get back into the game, with Ollie Chenoweth bravely denying Liam Triggs.
But the City keeper had no chance after 26 minutes when the home defence stood off, allowing George Branford to fire home a great drive into the top corner from 25 yards.

And the teams went in deadlocked at 1-1, but it was the visitors who started the second half the better and went ahead after 63 minutes when poor City defending from a corner allowed Jamel Branker to score from close range.

Lady Luck has not always been on City’s side this season, but it did shine on them 17 minutes from time when Fredericks allowed an Eddy shot to squirm under his body for a home equaliser.

And two minutes later City were in front with Kendall heading home Jamie Lowry’s right wing corner.

And it proved to be the winner though City lived dangerously at times with Chenoweth saving well from Roberts with Shane White then blocking the follow up effort.

And in stoppage time there was a huge home sigh of relief when substitute Taylor Edwards' lob went just wide with Chenoweth out of position after making a save.

Broad then saw red but it was no more than an irritant on what could prove to be a crucial turning point in City’s season as they moved up two places to 18th in the table.

CITY: Chenoweth; Tully, Kendall, Pugh, White, Cooke, Broad, Lowry, Brokenshire (Slateford 68), Afful, Eddy. Subs (not used): Sims, Evans, Copp, Watson.
Red card (two yellows): Broad (90+3).
AFC TOTTON: Fredericks; Onoufriou (capt), Triggs (House 79), McCarthy, Flooks, Hibberd, Branker, Brandford, Moth, Roberts, Mouland (Edwards 82). Subs (not used): Hurst, Ross, Hollick.
Yellow cards: Hibberd, Onoufriou.
Half time: 1-1.
Goals: Eddy (2) 1-0, Branford (26) 1-1, Branker (63 ) 1-2, Eddy (73) 2-2, Kendall (75) 3-2.
Referee: Andrew Bennetts (Okehampton).
Crowd: 295.

City man of match: Liam Eddy, the young striker took his tally to the season to six and is rapidly coming to terms with playing at this level.

No comments:

Post a Comment