01 September 2014

Corby Town 1 Truro City 0

The Steelmen proved that they were capable of digging in and grinding out a result with this hard fought victory over a resolute Truro City side. This was not a game for the purists but the most important thing for Corby was to return to winning ways after Monday’s disappointing result. Corby, however, did create the majority of the first half goalscoring opportunities. Paul Malone headed over the bar, Spencer Weir-Daley blasted a shot high after the Truro defence had failed to clear a Greg Mills free kick, Mills had another set-piece comfortably saved by Mike Searle in the visiting goal and Kalern Thomas also hit an effort off target after finding himself free in the penalty area. The best chance, however, fell to Truro after a Corby attack had broken down on the edge of the penalty area. The visitors launched a swift counter attack and Isaac Vassell raced clear with only Paul Walker to beat – but fired his shot wide of the post. This was the general pattern of the first half with Truro being content to soak up pressure and attack on the break. Their main defensive tactic appeared to be to dive at the ball and head it away. The linesman’s flag brought an end to most of their counter attacks while Walker twice had to race out of his box to head the ball clear. The only goal of the game came in the 42nd minute. Cleveland Taylor – providing the right-sided width in the absence of the suspended Wilson Carvalho – dribbled his way along the bye-line and fired a shot at goal. Searle did well to block his effort but Shane Byrne turned the ball into the net at the far post. Taylor almost repeated the move seconds later but this time Searle held onto the cross with Weir-Daley lurking behind him. Truro lost central defender Arran Pugh with a split lip midway through the half and Corby were dealt a blow seconds before the interval when Mills limped off to be replaced by Harry May. May did prove to be a useful addition to the Corby attack in the second half, however, heading one effort just wide and forcing Searle into action with a high, looping shot from distance. Weir-Daley had a shot deflected out for a corner while at the other end Walker made a good save from Craig Duff. Lewis Jackson caused the Truro defence problems with a couple of inswinging corners but no team mates were able to get on the end of them. Truro introduced Barry Hayles to the fray as a substitute but the vastly experienced striker’s most notable contribution to proceedings was to earn a stern telling off from referee Robbie Dadley. Corby were able to play out the final few minutes without any further scares and picked up the three points which lifted them up to third place in the Southern League Premier Division table. CORBY TOWN:- Paul Walker; Kalern Thomas, Lewis Jackson (substitute Curtis Hartley); Paul Malone, Edi Appleton, Akin Daramola; Greg Mills (substitute Harry May), Shane Byrne, Ben Milnes, Spencer Weir-Daley (substitute Tommy Wright), Cleveland Taylor. Unused substitutes:- Connor Kennedy, David Clarke (GK). TRURO CITY:- Mike Searle; Steve Tully, Chris Long; Jake Ash, Rob Farkins, Arran Pugh (substitute Jamie Lowry); Dan Green ©, Craig Duff, Les Afful (substitute Barry Hayles), Cody Cooke, Isaac Vassell (substitute Myles James). Unused substitutes:- Kyle Moore, Wayne Carlisle. REFEREE:- Mr Robbie Dadley (Bedworth). ATTENDANCE:- 436. CORBY TOWN SUPPORTERS TRUST MAN OF THE MATCH:- Shane Byrne By David Tilley

No comments:

Post a comment