09 April 2014

A terrific turnaround by the Tigers from Saturday! (by Jacob Englefield)

A well deserved win ensures Southern League Premier football next season as Steve Tully is confirmed as manager for 2014-15
Match report from Jacob Englefield

It was a miserable return to Treyew Road for some former players on a wonderful Tuesday evening as Truro City secured safety for next season in the Calor League Southern Premier Division with a 2-1 victory against Weymouth. The Terras handed starts to Stewart Yetton, Isaac Vassell and Adam Kelly with Scott Walker and Barry McConnell on the replacements bench.

Weymouth took the lead early on with a Stewart Yetton goal, Truro managed to get right back into the game but didn't manage to equalize until half way through the half when Les Afful scored a header at the near post. Truro then scored what proved to be the winner towards the end of the 1st half when Neil Slateford managed to get the ball 25 yards out, fooled a couple of Weymouth defenders with his trickery and managed to strike the ball into the right hand side of the goal.

It was a quiet first five minutes of the game with no chances created by either side. However, in the 9th minute it was Weymouth who managed to take the lead and shocked the home fans when Isaac Vassell managed to go down the left hand side, have a shot that hit the woodwork but fell to the prolific striker Stewart Yetton, taking his league tally to 24 for the season.

Truro then managed to create the first real opportunity of the game in the 17th minute of the game when there was some nice passing down the right hand side, Cody Cooke then delivered a ball to the back post where Neil Slateford was waiting, only for the winger to put the ball wide.

City then managed to create another opportunity four minutes later when Cody Cooke played a 1-2 with Dan Green and hit a shot to Jason Matthews right which the Weymouth keeper managed to parry away from the goal.

It was in the 24th minute that Truro managed to get that equalizer they deserved when midfielder Jamie Lowry took a free kick from half way which was hit towards the back post, Aaron Pugh headed the ball towards goal where Les Afful was waiting to hit a diving header low to Matthews right and into the back of the net, much to the delight of the home faithful.

A quiet 15 minute period followed and it wasn't until the 40th minute that Truro scored their 2nd and what ended up being the winner when the ball fell to Neil Slateford 25 yards out. What followed was something special as he managed to produce a little bit of trickery that fooled a couple of Weymouth defenders, putting the ball on his right foot he smashed the ball into the net giving Matthews no chance.

Into the second half, a pleasing one for Truro as they managed to create opportunities, stay solid at the back and never really look like conceding, something that we haven't seen this season.

Weymouth's only chance of the half came in the 57th minute, Isaac Vassell who was busy all the night down his left wing managed to outwit youngster Micky Parcell, hit a cross over to the far post towards Stewart Yetton, and when you thought he was going to score he headed the ball low with little power to Grant Fisher's left, which fell safely into his hands. The only work he really had to do in the second 45 minutes.

Truro had their fair share of chances, some they really should have taken. Ben Watson and Liam Eddy were brought on in attack, and you could see the added influence they both had on the outcome of the game, securing Truro's victory. Both holding the ball up well and adding a lot of extra energy.

The last bit of action came at the end of the game, where Weymouth full back Jake Green was given his marching orders by referee Ian Roberts for apparently foul and abusive language towards.

A couple of minutes later, after Liam Eddy had missed a sitter, Roberts then brought an end to what was an entertaining game of football at Treyew Road.

Truro: Fisher, Parcell, Daw, Kendall, Pugh, White, Green, J Lowry, Afful, Cooke, Slateford
Subs: Watson, Copp, Berrow, Eddy.

Weymouth: Matthews, Sharpe, Green, Coldwell, Hutchings, Richards, Kelly, Jagger-Cane, Yetton, Riggs, Vassell.
Subs: Poole, Ford, S Walker, M Walker, McConnell.

Referee: Ian Roberts
Assistant Referees: Martin Ault and Lee Dudman.

Att : 346

No comments:

Post a comment