12 December 2016

Forest Green Rovers 1 Truro City 1 (FA Trophy)

Keanu Marsh-Brown’s early second half goal wasn’t enough for Forest Green to see off Truro City in the FA Trophy, and Rovers will travel to Cornwall on Tuesday for a replay in search of a place in the second round, writes Richard Joyce.
Marsh-Brown’s finish after the break had given Mark Cooper’s men the lead in a game FGR dominated, although Andrew Neal’s equaliser from a corner ensured sixth tier Truro secured a draw and another opportunity on home turf in midweek.
A first half littered with FGR chances couldn’t see Rovers break through. Early on Christian Doidge’s header was saved by Martin Rice in the Truro goal, while the former Torquay stopper did well again to save from Marsh-Brown after he had cut inside.
Speculative long range strikes from Darren Carter failed to threaten before Rob Sinclair’s back-to-back corners kicks were very nearly forced home by Ethan Pinnock and Charlie Clough.

Truro centre back Aaron Bentley made a vital clearance from off the line on 37 minutes to ensure his side maintained their clean sheet to deny Fabien Robert who had stooped to head at goal.
Despite having limited opportunities in the half, Truro almost took the lead shortly before the break.
Danger man Niall Thompson latched onto Neale’s forward pass and saw his driving run end with a right footed shot that hammered the foot of Sam Russell’s right hand post.
Patient Forest Green didn’t take long to go in front after half time as Marsh-Brown broke the deadlock.
Sinclair’s brilliant mazy run saw him work the ball to the forward, who finished confidently to give his side the lead.
Rovers’ lead was almost doubled not long after when another Doidge header from a Sinclair corner was saved well by Rice.
The deficit was however halved on 73 minutes. A Truro corner, whipped into the near post, was glanced in by Neale to draw the visitors level.
Having dominated for so long it was suddenly FGR who were on the back foot for the final ten minutes as Truro sensed an opportunity to secure a late win.
Zane Sole saw his strike blocked away, while Neale missed a massive opportunity to break FGR hearts on 90 minutes as he blasted over Thompson’s terrific pull back.
Another big opening fell the way of the Cornish teams goal scorer in stoppage time. But again he couldn’t take advantage on a soggy pitch as FGR held on for another crack at progressing in the competition on Tuesday evening.
Report: Richard Joyce
Photo: Adam Rivers/Pro Sports Images
Highlights: Ollie Smith & Richard Joyce

No comments:

Post a comment