30 March 2014

Cambridge v Truro match report (Cambridge Official site)

Cambridge City 4 Truro City 1

Cambridge City finally got back to winning ways as they strolled to a comfortable 4-1 victory over Truro at Bridge Road.

City went into the fixture on the back of a poor run of form that had seen them gain only 5 points during March and with the real possibility of dropping out of the play offs altogether, so this really was a must win for Gary Roberts’ team.

The City boss made two changes at the back with James Brighton suspended and Nick Beasant injured. This meant that Jackson Ramm came in at right back and Will Lawton was recalled to partner Lee Chaffey in the centre of defence.

Elsewhere, Adam Martin was available once again giving a welcome boost to midfield whilst Andrew Phillips was the favoured strike partner alongside Adam Marriott.

On a warm afternoon, City started the match in upbeat fashion, and dominated the early possession. The visitors from Cornwall were struggling to get a foothold in the game, but looked organised and didn’t allow City much scoring opportunities early on.

However, this all changed in the 13th minute when Adam Marriott was played in, and City’s leading scorer beat the offside trap and although he saw his initial shot blocked, the ball fell invitingly for him to slam home the rebound.

Five minutes later, and Marriott could have got a second. Once again he found himself onside, and went for the chip, but was thwarted by Grant Fisher in the Truro goal.

As the match edged past the half hour mark, Josh Dawkin played in Andrew Phillips, and Fisher did well once again to block his effort.

City though did double the score as the match entered first half stoppage time. Josh Beech met an excellent delivery from Phillips to fire low underneath the keeper.

As the second half got underway, City were looking to press home their advantage, but had to wait until 62 minutes for the third that effectively killed the game. Josh Dawkin went on a run and fired a shot that was eventually turned into his own net by the unfortunate Paul Kendall. Dawkin though claimed it, and City were now in a comfortable position.

This was re-enforced when they extended their lead four minutes later. The Truro defence failed to clear their lines and the ball fell invitingly for Will Lawton who fired in a low shot that beat Fisher for City’s fourth of the afternoon.

With the game won, Gary Roberts rang the changes, with Adam Marriott, Andrew Phillips and Ieuan Lewis all being substituted. One of those who were introduced to the game from the bench was Danny Kelly who has returned to the UK following some time in Australia and who re-signed for City on Friday afternoon.

As the match entered its final quarter City took their foot off the gas, and with the changes lost their previous impetus and it was enough for Truro to score what ended up to be nothing more than a consolation. The ball made it’s way out to Dan Green who fired in an effort from an angle that should have been cleared but somehow found its way past Zac Barrett and into the net.

But City saw out the rest of the match with no further alarm, and it was relief all round at the final whistle that the Lilywhites had finally got back to winning ways. With news that Poole and Bideford both lost, City now sit six points clear of the chasing pack and will be looking to cement their play off position further when they visit Corby on Wednesday night.
At 256
Bookings: Kendall and Green.

No comments:

Post a comment