06 November 2012

City Alerts - by Mike Truscott Monday 5th Nov

UPDATES from Truro City 3 AFC Hornchurch 2

TIM SANDERCOMBE (knee) to be assessed this week, but hopefully only a short absence. Lee: "We'll have to wait and see. It was a strange one. He just went down. The play was upfield and one of the players shouted 'Tim's injured.' I think there was a back-pass which he cleared, and it may have just impinged. Hopefully, he will make a quick recovery. There is no swelling, which is a good sign.

"I asked Tim to carry on in the second half, but his immobility was the reason we conceded the second goal so we had to make changes then. I didn't know myself what I could do as sub; I didn't know if I would be off again quickly with my hamstring.

"But it was okay and Jake performed brilliantly in goal; he was amazing. If we've got a big enough squad for Saturday, and if Tim is still out, I wouldn't hesitate to put him in goal straightaway. Jake and Yetsi are always going on about who's the better goalkeeper of the two, but Jake staked a pretty big claim against Hornchurch!

"I was absolutely delighted with the result. It may not have been the prettiest of matches, but the conditions were very difficult and at the end of the day a win is a win. It was vitally important to get some more points on the board. I was chuffed to bits for the lads because it was what they richly deserved.

"It was nice to see Kieffer Moore return to action and do so well. He took both his goals extremely well and might even have ended up with a brilliant hat-trick."

MARTIN WATTS returned to action for the reserves at St Ives Town on Saturday for the first time since sustaining his serious knee injury at Salisbury in February last year. Lee: "I wanted him to have 25 to 30 minutes as substitute, but because the match went into extra time he ended up having 55 - but he came through it all okay, so he will have another run-out with the reserves this week."

NEXT FIXTURES (all League except Farnborough): Sat Nov 10, FA Trophy, Farnborough away, 3 pm; Sat Nov 17, away to Eastbourne Borough, 3 pm; Tues, Nov 20, away to Eastleigh, 7.45 pm; Sat Nov 24, FA Trophy; Tues, Nov 27, home to Dover Athletic, NB kick-off 7 pm; Sat, Dec 1, home to Tonbridge Angels, 3 pm.

Yesterdays Truro City SUNDAY INDEPENDENT column attached - plus a one-off special for the Indy that also has strong Truro interest.

QUOTE OF THE WEEK from last week's media reports. LES GILBERT, q uoted in the Packet newspapers after his appointment with Robbie Stephens to succeed Alan Carey as manager/s at Falmouth Town (Les and Robbie are past managers of Truro City Reserves): "For me, Falmouth Town is still the biggest club in the county. We were fortunate enough to be at Truro, which is a big club, but I think Falmouth's the same. When I was growing up, they were the top club, and they always will be in my eyes."

"CITY ALERTS" BIG PUSH. Fantastic to see the new levels of interest and enthusiasm sweeping through the club. Next challenge is to maintain these levels - not least the increased gates - rather than go back off the boil. For my part, as well as expanding my weekly Sunday Independent column for the club, I am also aiming to increase the output of my City Alerts service, both in quantity and frequency. So it strikes me that now would be a good time to have a fresh push to increase the subscriber base (to fans and all relevant media, acting as a single point of issue for news from the club).

Each week, I aim for at least two emailed City Alerts, one on the Friday with all the latest team news for the next day's match, and the other on the Monday, with Lee's reflections on the Saturday match plus injury updates etc. The subscriber base currently stands at almost 300, and with all the renewed interest in the club I reckon there is the p otential for a good deal more now. So if you know anyone who hasn't yet registered but would welcome the service - please persuade them to register now at www.cityalerts.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment